1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole Layer

1. Sep 21, 2003 #1
    This is a homework question so please do not just tell me the answer, but please point me in the right direction.

A dipole layer, D(y,z), exists on the plane x=0. Find the boundary conditions (discontinuities, if any) for [phi](x,y,z), E_x(x,y,z),
    E_y(x,y,z), and E_z(x,y,z) across the plane x=0. In view of this result do you believe in the boundary condition that the tangential component of E is contiuous across a boundary? Review the derivation of the boundary condition and see if and where the derivation breaks down.

When I read the first part of the problem I was content with how to solve it. The potential is discontinuous by D/[epsilon_0]. Then I would argue using typical boundary value knowledge that E_y and E_z are continuous and that E_x should be discontinuous. But after finishing reading the problem, it seems that my so called "notions" of the situation might be incorrect. Where do I start with finding the Electric Field components? I am very confused and any help would be very appreciated.
    Cheers

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted