Disc Brake Design for Mechanical Project

In summary, Jason is working on a rough sketchup for a Mechanical Design Project involving a motorcycle brake. He has found the torque and forces involved to actuate the pads against the rotor, but is trying to find the contact area. Any input would be appreciated.
Jason03
Hello,

I am working on a rough sketchup for a Mechanical Design Project involving a motorcycle brake. I am working on finding the Contact area of a brake pad on the rotor of a motorcycle.

I have already found the torque and forces involved to actuate the pads against the rotor. I have included the reference material I am using below. The diameter of the rotor is 310mm or 12.06 inches which is a spec from a GSXR 600.

Im trying to start out with finding the inside and outside diameter which I would assume for now I have to come up with. For now I would make the inside and outside diameter of the pad fall between the limits of the rotor but slighlty less so the pads are not the same measurements as the rotor.(Look at the model of the rotor below)

The formulas I included below also include a theta value which I am not sure if I am supposed to come up with that as well or not.

They have the area as
A_pad= .5* theta(R^2-r^2)

Our teacher mentioned something about using the formula for the area of a trapazoid for the pad. The material belows shows a figure witht the pad that is similar to a trapazoid.

Any ideas on finding the contact area or other input would be greatly appreciated.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/ref1-1.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/ref1.jpg

Below is the model of what the rotor will look like. The dimensions are not accurate as of yet.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/ScreenShot005.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! I was wondering if you could give me the name of the book you are using please!

hello can you give us the name of the book please

What is a disc brake?

A disc brake is a type of braking system used in vehicles that utilizes a rotating disc and brake pads to slow down or stop the vehicle. The disc is attached to the wheel and the brake pads are pressed against the disc to create friction and slow down the vehicle.

What are the different components of a disc brake system?

The main components of a disc brake system include the disc or rotor, brake caliper, brake pads, and brake fluid. The rotor is attached to the wheel and rotates with it. The caliper holds the brake pads and is responsible for applying pressure to the pads. The brake pads are the friction material that makes contact with the rotor to slow down the vehicle. Brake fluid is used to transfer the pressure from the caliper to the brake pads.

What are the advantages of disc brakes over other braking systems?

Disc brakes offer several advantages over other braking systems. They provide better stopping power, are more reliable and require less maintenance, and are more effective in wet or slippery conditions. They also have a longer lifespan and can handle higher temperatures, making them ideal for high-performance vehicles.

What are the different types of disc brakes?

There are two main types of disc brakes: mechanical and hydraulic. Mechanical disc brakes use a cable to activate the caliper and apply pressure to the brake pads. Hydraulic disc brakes use brake fluid to transfer pressure from the brake lever to the caliper. There are also variations within these types, such as single-piston or multi-piston calipers, and floating or fixed rotors.

What factors should be considered when designing a disc brake system for a mechanical project?

When designing a disc brake system for a mechanical project, several factors should be considered, including the type of vehicle or machinery, the expected load and speed, the desired braking force, and the available space for the brake components. The materials used for the disc, pads, and caliper should also be carefully chosen to ensure optimal performance and durability.