Displacement and Velocity using Integration.-

In summary, you can find the two new definite integrals by using the roots of the original equation and the numbers of the original definite integral without needing the elaborate diagrams and number lines.
Zill1

Homework Statement

My question is really regarding a shortcut. I never did displacement/distance and velocity with integrals in Calculus 1 and it's time for review. The professor offers a way to find the two new definite integrals in distance traveled by creating an elaborate diagram with a number line and lots of pictures and boxes, but I notice with each question I do that the relevant number to put into the definite integral b and a is just the root that between the number line of the original integral.

Homework Equations

Example is integral at b=6 and a=1, equation t^2-2t-8. The roots of this are -2 and 4. Since 4 is in between 6 and 1, I picked 4, so my two new definite integrals are b=4 a=1 and b=6 a=4 in the first and second equations and I solve the definite integral accordingly for 98/3m^3

My question is this: Are these diagrams and number lines she draws out really necessary to find anything or can I always just find b and a of the two new definite integrals by finding which root of the equation is in between the numbers of the original definite integral.
I apologize for not using the math notations; I can't seem to get them to work for me the way I want to. I am also sorry if my question appears vague.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is yes, you can always just find b and a of the two new definite integrals by finding which root of the equation is in between the numbers of the original definite integral. The diagrams and number lines that your professor draws out are not necessary to solve the problem, however they may be useful for visualizing the process.

1. What is displacement and velocity?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction. Velocity, on the other hand, is the rate of change of displacement with respect to time. It is also a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How are displacement and velocity related?

Displacement and velocity are related by the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of a function is equal to the integral of its rate of change. In other words, velocity is the derivative of displacement, and displacement is the integral of velocity.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken. It gives an overall picture of an object's motion. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the limit of the average velocity as the time interval approaches zero.

4. How do you calculate displacement and velocity using integration?

To calculate displacement using integration, you need to first find the velocity function, which is the derivative of the displacement function. Then, you can use the definite integral to find the displacement by integrating the velocity function over a given time interval. Similarly, to calculate velocity using integration, you need to find the acceleration function, which is the derivative of the velocity function, and then integrate the acceleration function over a given time interval.

5. Why is integration important in understanding displacement and velocity?

Integration is important in understanding displacement and velocity because it allows us to find the exact values of these quantities over a given time interval. It also helps us analyze the motion of an object by providing information about its acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. Integration allows us to calculate precise values and make predictions about an object's displacement and velocity at any given time.