1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Displacement and Velocity using Integration.-

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My question is really regarding a shortcut. I never did displacement/distance and velocity with integrals in Calculus 1 and it's time for review. The professor offers a way to find the two new definite integrals in distance traveled by creating an elaborate diagram with a number line and lots of pictures and boxes, but I notice with each question I do that the relevant number to put into the definite integral b and a is just the root that between the number line of the original integral.

2. Relevant equations

Example is integral at b=6 and a=1, equation t^2-2t-8. The roots of this are -2 and 4. Since 4 is in between 6 and 1, I picked 4, so my two new definite integrals are b=4 a=1 and b=6 a=4 in the first and second equations and I solve the definite integral accordingly for 98/3m^3

My question is this: Are these diagrams and number lines she draws out really necessary to find anything or can I always just find b and a of the two new definite integrals by finding which root of the equation is in between the numbers of the original definite integral.

I apologize for not using the math notations; I can't seem to get them to work for me the way I want to. I am also sorry if my question appears vague.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted