Dissertation help, wind turbine output

In summary, The conversation is about a wind turbine and its power output in different situations. The person is doing research for their dissertation and has a wind turbine that produces a certain output at a windspeed of 10mph. They are wondering what the situation would be if the turbine is attached to a bicycle and moving at 10mph in a windless environment. They are seeking advice on how to calculate the power output in this scenario.
mwatso32
This is a question that i am struggling to find any answer to on the internet.

Doing some research for my 4th year honours dissertation.

I have a wind turbine capable of producing a certain output at say windspeed of 10mph.

Meaning that the wind is moving towards the turbine at 10mph.

What is the situation if the wind turbine is actually traveling (attached to a bicycle) at 10mph and say in this case the windspeed is 0.

How can i now work out the power output assuming i know all the other variables like the swept area, air density, efficiency etc

Thanks in advance for any input!

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
first time doing this, iv clearly done the post wrong somehow, still appreciate any thoughts

How does the wind turbine know if it is moving or stationary w/respect to the wind?

it dosent, what I am wondering is if the device is moving at 10mph does that create 10mph winds in the opposite direction?

mwatso32 said:
it dosent, what I am wondering is if the device is moving at 10mph does that create 10mph winds in the opposite direction?

Yep.

awesome, thanks for clarifying

1. What is a dissertation?

A dissertation is a research project that is typically required for the completion of a doctoral degree. It involves conducting original research on a specific topic and presenting your findings in a written document.

2. How can a dissertation help with wind turbine output?

A dissertation can help improve wind turbine output by exploring new technologies, materials, or methods that can increase efficiency or address any issues with current wind turbine systems. It can also provide valuable insights and recommendations for optimizing wind turbine output.

3. Is a dissertation necessary for wind turbine output improvement?

No, a dissertation is not necessary for wind turbine output improvement. However, it can be a valuable tool for advancing the field and addressing any challenges or limitations in current wind turbine technology.

4. How long does it take to complete a dissertation?

The time it takes to complete a dissertation can vary depending on the individual and their research topic. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-3 years to complete a dissertation.

5. Can a dissertation on wind turbine output be applied in real-world settings?

Yes, a dissertation on wind turbine output can be applied in real-world settings. The research and findings from a dissertation can be used to inform and improve the design and operation of wind turbines in practical applications.