1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Distance and material affects on magnetic full strength

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    Hi Folks:

This is my first post, I hope that I observing the proper etiquette. If I have a magnet with a known pull strength is there a way for me to determine the affect of 1/4 inch plywood on the magnets pull strength when the plywood is placed between the magnet and the surface metal?

Thank you for reading!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

It will be almost the same as 1/4 inch of air. See the table here
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(electromagnetism)

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3
    Magnetic force on the metal surface is inversely proportional to the distance. I feel the plywood, a non ferromagnetic material, should not have any
    significance to the outcome.

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Possibly more important is the effect of the 1/4 " stand off . A magnet produces much higher attraction force when attracted object is very near or in direct contact than it does when there is a significant gap .

6. Jun 10, 2016 #5
    Thank you all very much. I see from the wiki article and your response that air and wood have a similar affect. I need to calculate the pull strength so that I can buy the correct magnet (pull strength) to allow for the 1/4 inch gap. I will conduct more research. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted