Distance and material affects on magnetic full strength

In summary, the question is about determining the effect of 1/4 inch plywood on a magnet's pull strength when placed between the magnet and a metal surface. The response suggests that the plywood will have a minimal impact and the distance between the magnet and metal surface is more significant. Additional research is needed to calculate the pull strength for a 1/4 inch gap.
TonyL
Hi Folks:

This is my first post, I hope that I observing the proper etiquette. If I have a magnet with a known pull strength is there a way for me to determine the affect of 1/4 inch plywood on the magnets pull strength when the plywood is placed between the magnet and the surface metal?

Thank you for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
TonyL said:
Hi Folks:

This is my first post, I hope that I observing the proper etiquette. If I have a magnet with a known pull strength is there a way for me to determine the affect of 1/4 inch plywood on the magnets pull strength when the plywood is placed between the magnet and the surface metal?

Thank you for reading!
It will be almost the same as 1/4 inch of air. See the table here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(electromagnetism)

Magnetic force on the metal surface is inversely proportional to the distance. I feel the plywood, a non ferromagnetic material, should not have any
significance to the outcome.

Possibly more important is the effect of the 1/4 " stand off . A magnet produces much higher attraction force when attracted object is very near or in direct contact than it does when there is a significant gap .

Thank you all very much. I see from the wiki article and your response that air and wood have a similar affect. I need to calculate the pull strength so that I can buy the correct magnet (pull strength) to allow for the 1/4 inch gap. I will conduct more research. Thanks again!

Related to Distance and material affects on magnetic full strength

1. How does distance affect the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet decreases as the distance between the magnet and the object it is attracting increases. This is because the magnetic force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

2. Can materials affect the strength of a magnet?

Yes, certain materials can affect the strength of a magnet. Materials that are not magnetic themselves, such as copper or aluminum, can still be affected by a magnet and can create a magnetic field that opposes the magnet's field, thus reducing its strength.

3. How does the orientation of a magnet affect its strength?

The orientation of a magnet can also affect its strength. When a magnet is aligned with the Earth's magnetic field, it can be stronger than when it is perpendicular to the field. Additionally, the orientation of multiple magnets can also impact their overall strength when combined.

4. Can magnets lose their strength over time?

Yes, magnets can lose their strength over time due to a process called demagnetization. Factors such as temperature, physical damage, and exposure to other magnetic fields can all contribute to a magnet's loss of strength.

5. How can I increase the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet can be increased by using a stronger magnetic material, increasing the size of the magnet, or stacking multiple magnets together. However, it's important to note that magnets have a limit to their strength and increasing it beyond that limit may not be possible.