Do not understand the question: Projectile motion (got correct answers)

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about solving a projectile motion problem, specifically finding the height of a cliff, the speed before impact at a certain point, and the maximum height reached. The concept of acceleration in the x and y directions, as well as finding the components of velocity using trigonometry, is also discussed. There is also confusion about the use of the y component of velocity instead of the overall velocity in the calculations.
Apollinaria
So I got the correct answers for this question but I don't understand how.
I don't understand the breakdown of the components.
I don't understand where what variables should be.

Homework Statement

A rock is projected at a cliff with initial speed of 42m/s, at 60deg above the horizontal. It strikes A at 5.5s.

Find the height of the cliff (I labeled it as dy but don't know if that's the same thing).
Find the speed before impact at A.
Find the max height reached (H).

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached.
Why is gravity negative?
Why do we find dy instead of H and how did this happen?
Is there no acceleration in the x direction at max height? So a=0? That's the only way it works out.
Why doesn't my first solution for c) work?

I don't understand the concept behind this problem at all.

Attachments

• Projectile Motion.jpg
    Projectile Motion.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity is negative depending on your reference frame. If up is in the positive Y direction then down will be negative.

I'm not sure that I under your second question, so correct me if I don't explain it right but you find "dy" because you plug in 5.5s for your time. You are not given the time it takes for it to reach H but you do know that your velocity in the vertical component will be 0 at the very moment that the object reverses it's vertical direction.

One of the key points of projectile motion is that your horizontal velocity is constant therefore your acceleration is always = 0. (Ignoring drag/etc)

Bill Nye Tho said:
Gravity is negative depending on your reference frame. If up is in the positive Y direction then down will be negative.

I'm not sure that I under your second question, so correct me if I don't explain it right but you find "dy" because you plug in 5.5s for your time. You are not given the time it takes for it to reach H but you do know that your velocity in the vertical component will be 0 at the very moment that the object reverses it's vertical direction.

One of the key points of projectile motion is that your horizontal velocity is constant therefore your acceleration is always = 0. (Ignoring drag/etc)
I had no idea that a=0 for projectile motion. Thanks for that bit of info.
So you're saying that if I had a time for H, I could plug that into find H?
I need to rephrase my own question.. :blushing:

Why is 42sin60 Viy? Is Viy same as H? Or same as Diy? I wasn't sure what I was finding there. What is Viy anyway?

Viy is the component of the initial velocity of the projectile in the y-direction.

Apollinaria said:
I had no idea that a=0 for projectile motion. Thanks for that bit of info.
So you're saying that if I had a time for H, I could plug that into find H?
I need to rephrase my own question.. :blushing:

Why is 42sin60 Viy? Is Viy same as H? Or same as Diy? I wasn't sure what I was finding there. What is Viy anyway?

Your acceleration is equal to zero only in the horizontal component.

Your vertical component of acceleration will be gravity.

Exactly, but when you're asked to find the maximum height of a projectile (H), they generally want to see if you understand that your vertical component of velocity will be zero for that sudden moment when it arrives at H.

You are given that your velocity is 42 m/s @ 60 degrees above the horizontal. You need the x and y components of that velocity in order to calculate. You use trigonometry to find the components of your velocity. The sine of 60 degrees multiplied by 42 m/s will give you the Y component of your velocity and the cosine of 60 degrees multiplied by 42 m/s will give you the X component of your velocity.

H and ViY are not the same.

Remember: H is the maximum height that the projectile will reach before it starts being pulled back down and ViY is the Y component of your velocity.

Bill Nye Tho said:
Your acceleration is equal to zero only in the horizontal component.

Your vertical component of acceleration will be gravity.

Exactly, but when you're asked to find the maximum height of a projectile (H), they generally want to see if you understand that your vertical component of velocity will be zero for that sudden moment when it arrives at H.

You are given that your velocity is 42 m/s @ 60 degrees above the horizontal. You need the x and y components of that velocity in order to calculate. You use trigonometry to find the components of your velocity. The sine of 60 degrees multiplied by 42 m/s will give you the Y component of your velocity and the cosine of 60 degrees multiplied by 42 m/s will give you the X component of your velocity.

H and ViY are not the same.

Remember: H is the maximum height that the projectile will reach before it starts being pulled back down and ViY is the Y component of your velocity.

So Vfy will be zero because the ball briefly stops before it comes down. And Viy is what we initially found for the y component (42sin60). I'm just confused as to why we're not using 42m/s as our Vi instead of the y component. Ughhh :grumpy:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a trajectory.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role in some cases.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion and the initial conditions such as the initial velocity and launch angle. These equations take into account the acceleration due to gravity to determine the position of the object at any given time.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the horizontal motion is constant and unaffected by gravity, while the vertical motion is influenced by gravity and follows a parabolic path.

5. What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a cannonball, and launching a rocket into space.