Does non-magnetic or magnetic stainless steel leach more?

In summary, the difference between non-magnetic and magnetic stainless steel cookware lies in their nickel content. Austenitic stainless steel, which is non-magnetic, contains a higher percentage of nickel and is more prone to leaching. Ferritic and martensitic stainless steel, which are magnetic, have a lower nickel content and are more stable in the presence of oxygen. The choice of material for cookware depends on the required finish and the forming processes available.
fangrz
May I know whether non-magnetic or magnetic stainless steel cookware leach more? I have looked at the different reasons why some stainless steel is magnetic or not, but it is confusing me whether one leaches more than the other.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No matter what particular grade of stainless steel is used, the stainless characteristic comes from surface passivity due to the chromium content. Stainless steel is usually only stable in the presence of oxygen. The corrosion of stainless steel cookware is dependent on what is being cooked. Food with a high acid content will tend to pit the surface of both magnetic or non-magnetic stainless steel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitting_resistance_equivalent_number

The material will be selected by the manufacturer based on the available forming processes and the finish required. Some stainless steels can be more easily rolled into thin sheet, some can be polished.

Likes jim mcnamara
fangrz said:
May I know whether non-magnetic or magnetic stainless steel cookware leach more? I have looked at the different reasons why some stainless steel is magnetic or not, but it is confusing me whether one leaches more than the other.
Stainless steels come three major types: austenitic, ferritic and martensitic, and then duplex combinations, e.g., austenitic-martensitic or martensitic-ferritic.

Austenitic stainless steels are nonmagnetic, while ferritic and martensitic stainless steels are magnetic.

Austenitic steels have more nickel (usually > 10% wt Ni). Ni is an austenite stabilizer. Ni tends to leach out of stainless steel depending on pH of the solution in contact with the stainless steel.

Ferritic and martensitic steels tend to have low nickel < ~7%, or even < 5%. Chromium is a ferrite stabilizer.

http://steel.keytometals.com/articles/art50.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between non-magnetic and magnetic stainless steel?

Non-magnetic stainless steel is made up of austenitic alloys, which do not have magnetic properties. On the other hand, magnetic stainless steel is made up of ferritic or martensitic alloys, which do have magnetic properties.

2. Does non-magnetic stainless steel leach more?

The leaching properties of stainless steel are determined by the specific alloy used, not by its magnetic properties. Both non-magnetic and magnetic stainless steel can potentially leach if they contain high levels of certain elements such as nickel or chromium. Therefore, the leaching potential is not affected by the magnetic properties of the steel.

3. Is non-magnetic stainless steel safer to use than magnetic stainless steel?

Safety is determined by the amount of leaching from the stainless steel, not by its magnetic properties. As mentioned before, both non-magnetic and magnetic stainless steel can potentially leach if they contain high levels of certain elements. It is important to check the composition of the stainless steel to determine its safety for use.

4. How can I determine if a stainless steel product is non-magnetic or magnetic?

The magnetic properties of stainless steel can vary depending on the specific alloy used and its processing. The easiest way to determine if a product is non-magnetic or magnetic is by using a magnet. If the magnet sticks to the stainless steel, it is magnetic. If the magnet does not stick, it is non-magnetic.

5. Are there any advantages to using non-magnetic stainless steel over magnetic stainless steel?

The choice between non-magnetic and magnetic stainless steel should be based on the specific needs and requirements of the project. Non-magnetic stainless steel is often used in industries where magnetism can interfere with equipment, such as medical or electronic devices. Magnetic stainless steel, on the other hand, is often used in industries where magnetism is beneficial, such as in the production of magnets or electrical motors.