1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does straight lines have slopes of tanget?

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    Does straight lines have slopes of tangent?

Does straight lines have slopes of tangent?.. :confused: i had no clue when this question came on a test..so i just left it...do they?..i just thought maybe they didn't since they have no limit. Hope i get an answer for this question.

Tanya

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2004 #2
    A straight line has the equation

[tex]y = mx + c[/tex]

here m is called its slope and c is the y-intercept. If you do not know, then this is a formula relating the y-coordinate of a point on the line to its x-coordinate (remember there must be a specific relationship between the x and y coordinates of a point if it moves on a well defined non-arbitrary curve...in this case the curve is a straight line).

A straight line does have a tangent also called its slope. The important thing is that the slope of a straight line is constant (unlike that of other curves which may change from point to point...draw a diagram of a circle to convince yourself that this is so). Secondly, only two parameters are required to fix a straight line:

1. Two points or
    2. One point and the slope
    3. Slope and y-intercept

The more general equation of a straight line in the cartesian plane is

ax + by + c = 0

but as you can see, it can be transformed into the form mentioned above using simple algebraic manipulations.

Cheers
    Vivek

4. Oct 23, 2004 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every line is its own tangent line at each of its points.

5. Oct 23, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think what you mean is this: the slope of a straight line is the tangent of the angle the line makes with the x-axis. That is true.

6. Oct 23, 2004 #5
    Thank u guys!!!! I understand much better now..i wish i had asked this question before the test ..oh well.. anyways Thank u

Tanya

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?