Solving A Dog's Stream Crossing Challenge

In summary, If the dog points himself directly across the stream, it will take him 25 seconds to get to the other side.
Throwback24

Homework Statement

A dog wishes to swim across a slow-moving stream. The dog can swim at 2 m/s in calm water. The current velocity is 3 m/s. The distance directly across the stream is 50 m.

If the dog points himself directly across the stream how long will it take to get across the stream?

How far downstream will the current have carried the dog when the dog gets to the other side?

What was the dogs velocity relative to the bank from where the dog started?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

With a.) I'm given how fast the dog can swim and velocity of the stream? I need to find T.

b.) I don't know what they're asking :(

c.) I don't now what they're asking :(

Can you guys please break it down for me? I think with B you multiply velocity by time.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Velocity = displacement/time, therefore, time = ?. To find velocity, simply add the velocity of the stream and the dog. (Note: Recall that velocity is a vector). For this part, we are interested in the component of velocity perpendicular to the bank.

b) Well, from a), you'll realize that the dog doesn't actually cross the stream perpendicular to the bank because the current pushes it downstream, but at an angle. Find its displacement in the direction parallel to the bank, which can be found using the time in part a) and the component of velocity parallel to the bank.

c) This is the velocity found in a). (Note: Remember once again, velocity is a vector. There must be 2 pieces of info provided)

Last edited:
Time=Displacement/Velocity?!

How do you know the dog is it an angle? I thought the dog was facing the stream

Yes, but imagine this, the dog tries to swim at a velocity (and hence a route) perpendicular to the bank, but the stream has a velocity parallel to the bank, pushing it downstream as it swims. Wouldn't it be moving at an angle?

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear earlier, for a), your equation is correct... We are concerned with the component of displacement perpendicular to the bank (i.e. the distance from bank to bank) and the component of velocity perpendicular to the bank, which is solely contributed by the dog's swimming velocity.

The component of the displacement? I'm so lost lol... can you run that by me again please?

Is it like this?

------>--------->
2 m/s 3 m/s

Those are the two vectors no?

A.

T=D/S
=50 m/2m/s
=25 seconds

B.

C2=A2+B2

Is that correct? It's a right angle triangle......

Up is 2 m/s and sideways is 3 m/s. The resultant would be the hypotenuse correct?

How would I go about getting C?

What is a dog's stream crossing challenge?

A dog's stream crossing challenge refers to the task of safely navigating a dog across a stream or body of water. This can be a challenge for dogs who are not familiar with water or crossing over uneven terrain, and it can also be a challenge for their owners who want to ensure their safety.

Why is it important to solve a dog's stream crossing challenge?

Solving a dog's stream crossing challenge is important for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures the safety of the dog and prevents any potential accidents or injuries. Additionally, it allows for more enjoyable outdoor activities with the dog, such as hiking or camping. Lastly, it helps to build trust and a stronger bond between the dog and their owner.

What are some tips for solving a dog's stream crossing challenge?

There are several tips for solving a dog's stream crossing challenge. Firstly, it is important to introduce the dog to water and stream crossings at a young age, so they become comfortable with it. Secondly, using positive reinforcement and treats can help encourage the dog to cross the stream. Thirdly, practicing with a leash and harness can provide added safety and control during the crossing.

What are some potential challenges in solving a dog's stream crossing challenge?

There are a few potential challenges in solving a dog's stream crossing challenge. These may include dogs who are not comfortable with water or are afraid of crossing over uneven terrain. Additionally, certain breeds may have a harder time crossing streams due to their physical characteristics. It is important to assess these challenges and address them accordingly.

How can a scientist contribute to solving a dog's stream crossing challenge?

As a scientist, one can contribute to solving a dog's stream crossing challenge by conducting research on dog behavior and physiology related to water and stream crossings. This can help identify potential challenges and provide solutions to overcome them. Additionally, scientists can collaborate with animal behaviorists and trainers to develop effective strategies for training dogs to safely cross streams.