1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppletr effect ratio question

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stationary detector measures the frequency of a sound source that first moves at constant velocity directly toward the detector and then (after passing the detector) directly away from it. The emitted frequency is f.

During the approach the detected frequency is f'app and during the recession it is f'rec. If ( f'app - f'rec)/f = 0.741, what is the ratio vs /v of the speed of the source to the speed of sound?

2. Relevant equations

f ( f'app - f'rec)/f = 0.741

f'app=f(v/(v+v(s) )

f'rec=f(v/(v-v(s))

3. The attempt at a solution

(f(v/(v+v(s)))-(f(v/(v-v(s)))/(f) =0.741

(v/(v+v(s)))-(v/(v-v(s)))=0.741

(v(v-v(s))-v(v+v(s)))/((v+v(s))(v-v(s)) =0.741

(-2V*V(s))/((v+v(s))(v-v(s)) =0.741

Now I can't make the equation in the form V(s)/V no matter what I do. Where did I go wrong in this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Those equations would make f'app < f and f'rec > f. Does that seem right? Even swapping them, there's a problem with the v = vs case. Check with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Never mind. I got the right answer. Assume v=1 . Solve for v(s) . You have your ratio.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook