How Do I Solve Double Displacement Reactions for Chemistry Homework?

In summary, I am so stressed right now and am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. My chemistry homework is just really confusing and I need to pass this class, could someone please help me out?
gasstationqueen
I am so stressed right now and am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. My chemistry homework is just really confusing and I need to pass this class, could someone please help me out? I need to hand this in tomorrow and I have already answered the questions myself but I feel like my answers are all wrong. I would appreciate it if someone could show me how to solve these so I know that when I hand this in tomorrow it won't bring my grade down even lower.

Complete and balance following equations: (find reactants and products)
1.Reactants: KOH+H2SO4
2.Reactants: FeS+HCl
3.Reactants: NaCl+H2SO4

If reaction occurs, list products. If no reaction occurs, state "no reaction":
1.Reaction: CaBr2+KOH
2.Reaction: Cu(OH)2+HC2H3O2
3.Reaction: FeS+2HCl
4.Reaction: Ca(NO3)2+2HClMy attemps: 1. H2SO4(aq) + 2KOH(aq) --> K2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l)
2. FeS + 2HCl ------> FeCl2 + H2S
3. 2NaCl + H2SO4 = Na2SO4 + 2HCl(g)

1. CaBr2 + KOH = CaOH + KBr2
2. Cu(OH)2 + 2 HC2H3O2 = Cu(C2H3O2)2 + 2 H2O
3. ?
4. No reaction ?

Idk what it nmeans by listing products :/

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
gasstationqueen said:
I am so stressed right now and am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. My chemistry homework is just really confusing and I need to pass this class, could someone please help me out? I need to hand this in tomorrow and I have already answered the questions myself but I feel like my answers are all wrong. I would appreciate it if someone could show me how to solve these so I know that when I hand this in tomorrow it won't bring my grade down even lower.

Complete and balance following equations: (find reactants and products)
1.Reactants: KOH+H2SO4
2.Reactants: FeS+HCl
3.Reactants: NaCl+H2SO4

If reaction occurs, list products. If no reaction occurs, state "no reaction":
1.Reaction: CaBr2+KOH
2.Reaction: Cu(OH)2+HC2H3O2
3.Reaction: FeS+2HCl
4.Reaction: Ca(NO3)2+2HCl
Please post your answers - forum rules!

What part do you struggle with exactly? Part where you need to find the products? Or part where you need to balance the equation?

Hypercube said:
What part do you struggle with exactly? Part where you need to find the products? Or part where you need to balance the equation?
Both, but finding products in particular. I swear I'm not an airhead lol, I had a medical issues which caused me to miss school and now I'm so behind. :cry:

haruspex said:
Please post your answers - forum rules!
Sorry, I'm a new member so I wasn't aware of the rules. I just posted my attempts.

gasstationqueen said:
1. H2SO4(aq) + 2KOH(aq) --> K2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l)
2. FeS + 2HCl ------> FeCl2 + H2S
I'm not much of a chemist, but those look right to me.
gasstationqueen said:
3. 2NaCl + H2SO4 = Na2SO4 + 2HCl(g)
I don't think so. See http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group7/halideions.html.
gasstationqueen said:
CaBr2 + KOH = CaOH + KBr2
A problem with the valencies?

The rest I leave to others.

Likes gasstationqueen

1. What is a double displacement reaction?

A double displacement reaction is a type of chemical reaction where two compounds exchange ions to form two new compounds. The general equation for a double displacement reaction is AB + CD → AD + CB. This reaction is also known as a metathesis reaction.

2. How do I balance a double displacement reaction?

To balance a double displacement reaction, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation is equal. Start by balancing the most complex compound, then balance the rest of the compounds by adding coefficients in front of them. Make sure to double check that all atoms are balanced before proceeding.

3. Can you give an example of a double displacement reaction?

One example of a double displacement reaction is the reaction between silver nitrate (AgNO3) and sodium chloride (NaCl) to form silver chloride (AgCl) and sodium nitrate (NaNO3). The equation for this reaction is AgNO3 + NaCl → AgCl + NaNO3.

4. What are the products of a double displacement reaction?

The products of a double displacement reaction are two new compounds formed as a result of the exchange of ions between the reactants. These compounds can be in the form of a solid, liquid, or gas, depending on the reactants used and the conditions of the reaction.

5. What are some real-life applications of double displacement reactions?

Double displacement reactions have many practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include the formation of soap from the reaction between fatty acids and sodium hydroxide, the formation of salt from the reaction between an acid and a base, and the formation of antacids to neutralize stomach acid. They are also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, and many other industrial processes.