Double integral, polar coordinates

In summary, to evaluate the given double integral over the triangle T, it is recommended to set it up as a normal dydx integral rather than using polar coordinates. This can be achieved by drawing out the triangle and determining the equations for the lines that make it up, which will serve as the bounds for the double integral.
saxen

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]T (x^2+y^2) dA, where T is the triangle with the vertices (0,0)(1,0)(1,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int[/tex] d[tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] r^3 dr

Thats how far I got, not really sure about boundries on r. First integrals boundrie should be 0 to pi/4. Is polar coordinates a good idea? Should I try some other change of variabel?

Help is appreciated

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Polar coordinates can be made to work but they are not the natural way to work this problem. There are no circles involved in the region. Just set it up as a normal dydx integral.

I wouldn't do this in polar, though the x^2+y^2 makes it tempting...

Draw out the triangle and figure out the equations for the lines that make it up, use these lines as your bounds for your double integral.

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a method of calculating the area under a polar curve. It involves integrating a function over a region in the polar coordinate plane.

2. How do I convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you need to substitute x and y with their corresponding polar coordinate equations, rcosθ and rsinθ, respectively. You also need to replace dxdy with rdrdθ.

3. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral in polar coordinates?

A single integral in polar coordinates calculates the area under a polar curve in one dimension, while a double integral calculates the volume under a polar surface in two dimensions.

4. How do I determine the limits of integration for a double integral in polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for a double integral in polar coordinates are determined by the region of interest in the polar coordinate plane. The inner limit represents the starting angle and the outer limit represents the ending angle.

5. What are some practical applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of objects with rotational symmetry. They are also used in calculating electric fields and gravitational fields in polar coordinates.