Electric Field Lines for Two Objects on a Frictionless Table

In summary, the two small objects with a charge of -4.0nC each are initially at rest on a horizontal, non-conducting frictionless table and are held together by an insulating string. The effects of gravity on each other are negligible. The solution suggests drawing electric field lines for the two objects, which tend to go towards the negative objects and away from the positive objects. The curvy lines represent unpaired field lines, as some lines go off to infinity due to the net charge of the system. Field lines also do not cross and behave as if they repel each other in the same direction. This information can help determine the arrangement of the electric field in the given diagram.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

In the diagram, two small objects, each with a charge of -4.0nC, are held together by a 0.020 m length of insulating string. The objects are initially at rest on a horizontal, non conducting frictionless table & the effects of gravity on each other are negligible.

(b) Illustrate the electric fiel by drawing electric field lines for the two objects.

What I did and the solution are both attached. However, the problem is I don't understand why the solution has those curvy lines & they don't provide an explanation.

Homework Equations

none?

The Attempt at a Solution

I learned that electric field lines tend to go towards the negative objects and away from the positive objects. But I'm not sure if I've learned anything that helps me think of curvy electric fields...
IMG_9741.jpg
IMG_9742.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9741.jpg
    IMG_9741.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 1,164
  • IMG_9742.jpg
    IMG_9742.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,494
Physics news on Phys.org
You can think of each field line as pairing up two equal and opposite quantities of charge, positive at the tail and negative at the head.
If the system under consideration has a net charge this means that some lines are unpaired, so go off to infinity.
The other fact you need is that field lines don't cross. Indeed, they behave as though they repel neighbouring lines in the same direction.
From these you should be able to deduce the sort of arrangement in the diagram.

1. What are electric field lines?

Electric field lines are imaginary lines used to represent the direction and strength of an electric field. They are drawn from positive charges to negative charges and are closer together in areas of stronger electric fields.

2. Why do we use electric field lines?

Electric field lines are a helpful tool in visualizing the behavior of electric fields. They can show the direction of the electric field and the relative strength at different points in space. This can aid in understanding the behavior of electric charges and their interactions.

3. How do you draw electric field lines?

To draw electric field lines, you first need to determine the location and strength of the charges in the electric field. Then, using a ruler and pencil, you can draw lines starting at the positive charges and ending at the negative charges. The lines should be evenly spaced and closer together in areas of stronger electric fields.

4. What do the different characteristics of electric field lines represent?

The direction of the electric field lines represents the direction a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. The density of the lines represents the strength of the electric field, with denser lines indicating a stronger field. Additionally, the lines never cross, as this would imply that the electric field has two different directions at the same point.

5. Can you draw electric field lines for complex electric fields?

Yes, electric field lines can be drawn for any type of electric field, including complex ones with multiple charges and varying strengths. However, it may be more challenging to accurately represent the field in a drawing, especially if it is three-dimensional or has irregularly shaped charges.