1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Question

1. Jan 7, 2006 #1
    My hw problems looks like this:

The acceleration of a particle is directly proportional to the square of the time t. When t=0, the particle is at x=36 ft. Knowing that at t=9 s, x=144 ft. and v=27 ft/s, express x and v in terms of t.

I'm not exactly sure what directly proportional means. Can someone help me out?

Also I have another question I'm stuck on:

The acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation a= 12x-28, where a and x are expressed in m/s2 and meters, respectively. Knowing that v=8 m/s when x=0, determine (a) the maximum value of x, (b) the velocity when the particle has traveled a total distance of 3m.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MathWorld is your friend.

Note that [itex]a=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/itex] and solve the resulting differential equation for [itex]x[/itex]. You should be able to answer the questions using that solution.
  4. Jan 7, 2006 #3
    Sorry, I'm kinda slow. I'm still not sure what they mean in the question with directly proportional. Does it mean that a = t squared?
  5. Jan 7, 2006 #4
    a = 12x - 28 \Rightarrow \frac{{d^2 x}}{{dt^2 }} - 12x = - 28

You have a second order ODE. The ICs and the equation both suggest that you can consider this equation as one in which the independent variable (t) is missing.

p\left( x \right) = \frac{{dx}}{{dt}} \Rightarrow \frac{{d^2 x}}{{dt^2 }} = \frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {p\left( x \right)} \right) = \frac{{dp}}{{dx}}\frac{{dx}}{{dt}} = p\frac{{dp}}{{dx}}

The DE becomes:

p\frac{{dp}}{{dx}} - 12x = - 28
    [/tex] which is separable after a little rearrangement.

You should be able to solve it from there.

(if you run into problems just reply to this thread - I haven't done the whole question so I don't know if the problem is easy or not)

As for your other question I would interpret it as meaning [tex]a = kt^2 [/tex].

Edit: Fixed statement above regarding the type of the DE.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  6. Jan 8, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

Benny is right. It just means that [itex]a = kt^2 [/itex], where k is a constant. The use of the word 'directly' is rather redundant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?