Solve Dynamics Questions: Find x & v in terms of t, & a, v & x for 3m

• Thread starter epiphany
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving the relationship between time, position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle. The first problem involves finding the expressions for x and v in terms of t, given the acceleration is directly proportional to the square of time. The second problem involves solving a differential equation to determine the maximum value of x and the velocity when the particle has traveled a total distance of 3m. The concept of directly proportional is clarified and the conversation ends with an offer for further help if needed.
epiphany
My homework problems looks like this:

The acceleration of a particle is directly proportional to the square of the time t. When t=0, the particle is at x=36 ft. Knowing that at t=9 s, x=144 ft. and v=27 ft/s, express x and v in terms of t.

I'm not exactly sure what directly proportional means. Can someone help me out?

Also I have another question I'm stuck on:

The acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation a= 12x-28, where a and x are expressed in m/s2 and meters, respectively. Knowing that v=8 m/s when x=0, determine (a) the maximum value of x, (b) the velocity when the particle has traveled a total distance of 3m.

Physics news on Phys.org
epiphany said:
I'm not exactly sure what directly proportional means. Can someone help me out?

MathWorld is your friend.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DirectlyProportional.html

Also I have another question I'm stuck on:
The acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation a= 12x-28, where a and x are expressed in m/s2 and meters, respectively. Knowing that v=8 m/s when x=0, determine (a) the maximum value of x, (b) the velocity when the particle has traveled a total distance of 3m.

Note that [itex]a=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/itex] and solve the resulting differential equation for [itex]x[/itex]. You should be able to answer the questions using that solution.

Sorry, I'm kinda slow. I'm still not sure what they mean in the question with directly proportional. Does it mean that a = t squared?

[tex]
a = 12x - 28 \Rightarrow \frac{{d^2 x}}{{dt^2 }} - 12x = - 28
[/tex]

You have a second order ODE. The ICs and the equation both suggest that you can consider this equation as one in which the independent variable (t) is missing.

[tex]
p\left( x \right) = \frac{{dx}}{{dt}} \Rightarrow \frac{{d^2 x}}{{dt^2 }} = \frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {p\left( x \right)} \right) = \frac{{dp}}{{dx}}\frac{{dx}}{{dt}} = p\frac{{dp}}{{dx}}
[/tex]

The DE becomes:

[tex]
p\frac{{dp}}{{dx}} - 12x = - 28
[/tex] which is separable after a little rearrangement.

You should be able to solve it from there.

(if you run into problems just reply to this thread - I haven't done the whole question so I don't know if the problem is easy or not)

As for your other question I would interpret it as meaning [tex]a = kt^2 [/tex].

Edit: Fixed statement above regarding the type of the DE.

Last edited:
epiphany said:
I'm still not sure what they mean in the question with directly proportional.

Benny is right. It just means that [itex]a = kt^2 [/itex], where k is a constant. The use of the word 'directly' is rather redundant.

Related to Solve Dynamics Questions: Find x & v in terms of t, & a, v & x for 3m

1. How do you solve dynamics questions?

To solve dynamics questions, you need to use the equations of motion and apply them to the given scenario. These equations include v = u + at, x = ut + 1/2at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2ax. You also need to identify the known values and variables, and then use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable.

2. What is the meaning of "x" in dynamics questions?

In dynamics, "x" refers to displacement, which is the distance an object has moved from its initial position. It is usually measured in meters (m).

3. What does "v" represent in dynamics equations?

"v" represents velocity, which is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time. It is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. How do you find "x" and "v" in terms of "t", "a", "v", and "x" for 3m?

Using the equations of motion, you can find "x" and "v" in terms of "t", "a", "v", and "x" for 3m. For example, to find "x", you can use x = ut + 1/2at^2 and plug in the known values for "u" (initial velocity), "a" (acceleration), and "t" (time). Similarly, to find "v", you can use v = u + at and plug in the known values for "u", "a", and "t".

5. Can you use different units in dynamics equations?

Yes, you can use different units in dynamics equations as long as they are consistent. For example, if you are using meters for displacement and seconds for time, then you should use meters per second for velocity and meters per second squared for acceleration.