1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E^x^2 definite integral

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    I attached the solution from the solution manual of the integral I'm trying to figure out.

[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}x^{2}exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/tex]

The solution of that integral without the x2 in front is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

So with the x2 I assumed I needed to do integration by parts.

So taking u = x2, du = 2xdx
    And taking dv to be [itex]exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/itex]

v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

But v would only equal that in a definite integral. When I'm doing integration by parts, I have an indefinite integral. So I'm kinda stuck here. When I put it into wolfram alpha, I get an error function for the answer to that indefinite integral. Do I put that answer in as v?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      5.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi leroyjenkens,
    Reexpress $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 \exp(-2amx^2/h) dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x \cdot x \exp(-2amx^2/h)dx$$ Does this hint at a different choice of u and v'?

4. Jan 12, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the wrong u and v, since your dv is not integrable in terms of elementary functions. Try again.

5. Jan 12, 2014 #4
    Thanks guys.
    Yes, that was clever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted