How Do You Solve the Integral of x^2 exp(-2amx^2/h)?

In summary: Instead of u = x^2 we can use u = exp(-2amx^2/h) and dv = xdx. This leads to v = 1/(-4am/h) * exp(-2amx^2/h) = -h/(4am) * exp(-2amx^2/h). Plugging this into the integration by parts formula, we get the solution to the original integral as \sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}. In summary, the original integral can be solved by using the substitution u = exp(-2amx^2/h) and integration by parts.
leroyjenkens
I attached the solution from the solution manual of the integral I'm trying to figure out.

[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}x^{2}exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/tex]

The solution of that integral without the x2 in front is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

So with the x2 I assumed I needed to do integration by parts.

So taking u = x2, du = 2xdx
And taking dv to be [itex]exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/itex]

v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

But v would only equal that in a definite integral. When I'm doing integration by parts, I have an indefinite integral. So I'm kinda stuck here. When I put it into wolfram alpha, I get an error function for the answer to that indefinite integral. Do I put that answer in as v?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi leroyjenkens,
Reexpress $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 \exp(-2amx^2/h) dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x \cdot x \exp(-2amx^2/h)dx$$ Does this hint at a different choice of u and v'?

Likes 1 person
leroyjenkens said:
I attached the solution from the solution manual of the integral I'm trying to figure out.

[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}x^{2}exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/tex]

The solution of that integral without the x2 in front is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

So with the x2 I assumed I needed to do integration by parts.

So taking u = x2, du = 2xdx
And taking dv to be [itex]exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/itex]

v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

But v would only equal that in a definite integral. When I'm doing integration by parts, I have an indefinite integral. So I'm kinda stuck here. When I put it into wolfram alpha, I get an error function for the answer to that indefinite integral. Do I put that answer in as v?

Thanks.

You have the wrong u and v, since your dv is not integrable in terms of elementary functions. Try again.

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys.
Does this hint at a different choice of u and v'?
Yes, that was clever.

FAQ: How Do You Solve the Integral of x^2 exp(-2amx^2/h)?

1. What is the meaning of "E^x^2 definite integral"?

The "E^x^2 definite integral" refers to the definite integral of the function e^(x^2), where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. This integral represents the area under the curve of the function e^(x^2) between two given limits, and is used to solve various problems in mathematics and physics.

2. How is the "E^x^2 definite integral" calculated?

The "E^x^2 definite integral" is calculated using a mathematical technique called the Riemann sum. This involves dividing the area under the curve into smaller and smaller rectangles and then taking the limit as the width of the rectangles approaches zero. The resulting value is the definite integral.

3. What are the applications of the "E^x^2 definite integral"?

The "E^x^2 definite integral" has numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used to calculate the area under a Gaussian distribution curve, which is important in statistics and probability. It is also used in solving differential equations, finding volumes of revolution, and in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the relationship between the "E^x^2 definite integral" and the error function?

The "E^x^2 definite integral" is closely related to the error function, which is defined as the integral of e^(-x^2) from 0 to x. In fact, the error function can be expressed in terms of the "E^x^2 definite integral" using a simple transformation. This relationship is important in solving problems involving probability and statistics.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving the "E^x^2 definite integral"?

There are several special techniques for solving the "E^x^2 definite integral", depending on the limits of integration and the desired accuracy. These include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature. In some cases, the integral can also be solved using series expansions or special functions, such as the error function.