Easiest Cylinder to Balance - angular acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of balancing three long cylinders with equal radii on the end of a finger. It is determined that the bamboo cylinder, with a length of 3L, is the easiest to balance due to its higher center of mass. This allows for more time to correct the object's position before it falls. The conversation also mentions the relationship between moment of inertia and angular acceleration, and how the larger moment of inertia of the concrete cylinder does not necessarily make it the easiest to balance.
mike115

Homework Statement

24. A person tries to balance vertically each of three long uniform cylinders with equal radii on the end of his finger:

* A wood cylinder of mass m and length L with moment of inertia I
* A bamboo cylinder of mass m and length 3L with moment of inertia 9I
* A concrete cylinder of mass 4m and length 2L with moment of inertia 16I

Which object is the easiest to balance and why?

A. The wood cylinder is easiest to balance because it has the smallest moment of inertia.
B. The concrete cylinder is easiest to balance because it has the largest moment of inertia.
C. The concrete cylinder is easiest to balance because it is the most massive.
D. The bamboo cylinder is easiest to balance because it has the least density.
E. The bamboo cylinder is easiest to balance because it is longest.

Correct Answer: E

Homework Equations

net torque = I*alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how the answer is E. I thought the object with the largest moment of inertia would have the smallest angular acceleration. It just seems to me that if the cylinder is longer, the gravitational force will act at a further distance from the support point which would only increase the net torque.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is actually harder to balance small objects (such as pencils) than large objects (such as broom handles). Tall objects have a higher centre of mass. Basically this means that they will begin falling slowly, giving you a little more time to quickly correct your body to keep the object upright.

Can someone explain why E is the correct answer?

The correct answer is E because the bamboo cylinder has the least density, which means it has less mass per unit length compared to the other cylinders. This results in a smaller moment of inertia, making it easier to balance because it requires less torque to achieve the same angular acceleration. Additionally, the longer length of the bamboo cylinder also contributes to its lower moment of inertia, making it the easiest to balance.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of a rotating object changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (°/s²).

2. What is the easiest cylinder to balance?

The easiest cylinder to balance would be one with a low moment of inertia, meaning it has a smaller mass and/or is closer to the axis of rotation. This would result in a smaller angular acceleration and make it easier to balance.

3. How does the shape of the cylinder affect its balance?

The shape of the cylinder can greatly affect its balance. A cylinder with a larger diameter or a non-uniform shape will have a higher moment of inertia, making it more difficult to balance.

4. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a cylinder?

The angular acceleration of a cylinder is affected by its mass, shape, and distance from the axis of rotation. A heavier cylinder or one with a larger diameter will have a higher moment of inertia, resulting in a higher angular acceleration.

5. How can I improve the balance of a cylinder?

To improve the balance of a cylinder, you can adjust its mass, shape, or distance from the axis of rotation. Also, using a more stable base or reducing external forces can help improve the balance.