Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy question hopefully

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I need some help trying to identify something, I personally don't know the term for it, but someone here should

Basicly i'm looking for a motion sensor device, that all it has to do is have it be set off, and it would trigger a sound effect(computer chip or some sort, help me out sorry) it would be a projectile object that would set it off(about the size of a nickel) so this sensor is really small something you could put in your pocket.

Thats about as best I can describe what i'm looking for, hopefully someone here will be able to catch on to what i'm trying to look for

~~Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    light beam? mirror set up, break the beam to the mirror sound a buzzer
    fancy motion detectors use lasers but no need to get that hi-teck

or a micro wave [radar ] like auto door openers use in stores

garage doors have the light beam set up to prevent a kid geting hit
    or motion sensors from a crime light [maybe the cheapest]

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    yeah its basically the same idea as a garage door opener, except it would be really small, like it would fit in a water bottle, I just don't know what that would be called, or where to get them

5. Nov 14, 2007 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Google "small motion sensor" and see what comes up.

6. Dec 17, 2007 #5
    what would yuou be doing with this anyway.

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6
    its just an idea thats being tossed around. But I need something that can be really cheap, it doesnt have to neccessarily a motion sensor, because the only ones I can find are over $50, the thing I need would fit in a water bottle, and would trigger when water went past it(to make a sound effect)

8. Dec 18, 2007 #7
    Say what you want to do, half-hints are just confusing. If you want to make a sound when water enters or leaves a bottle, electrodes around the neck might do. If you want to do something else, say what it is. It's hard to help without knowing what the problem is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?