Effect of electrical field on heat capacity

In summary, the potential energy is U=-u\epsilon\cos\Theta and the additional effect of \epsilon on the heat capacity is that the heat capacity is C_e(T)=-u\epsilon\cos(\beta T)
Shadowz

Homework Statement

Given the perfect gas molecules with permanent electrical dipole moment u in the field [tex]\epsilon[/tex].
The potential energy is [tex]U = -u\epsilon\cos\Theta[/tex]
Derive the additional effect of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] on the heat capacity.

I need some hints, please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You have to compute the partition function first...do you know how to do that?

Hi,

So my attempt was to compute [tex] q = \int_0^{2\pi} e^{-\beta U} d\Theta[/tex]

But this gives me the Bessel function, so I am not sure if I am on the right track.

Shadowz said:
Hi,

So my attempt was to compute [tex] q = \int_0^{2\pi} e^{-\beta U} d\Theta[/tex]

But this gives me the Bessel function, so I am not sure if I am on the right track.
No because you are in 3D and the angular measure you have to use is
[tex]sin \theta d\phi d\theta [/tex] and not just [tex] d\theta[/tex].

Hi,

Thank for your help. I agree.

So I tried

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{-\beta \mu \epsilon \cos\Phi}sin\Theta d\Theta d\Phi[/tex]
but still gets the Bessel function.

Is my limit of integration wrong?

Should it be

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^\infty e^{-\beta \mu \epsilon \cos\Phi} r^2 drsin\Theta d\Theta d\Phi[/tex]

Thanks,

Last edited:
Shadowz said:
Hi,

Thank for your help. I agree.

So I tried

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{-\beta \mu \epsilon \cos\Phi}sin\Theta d\Theta d\Phi[/tex]
but still gets the Bessel function.

Is my limit of integration wrong?

Should it be

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^\infty e^{-\beta \mu \epsilon \cos\Phi} r^2 drsin\Theta d\Theta d\Phi[/tex]

Thanks,
Well the thing is that you should have [tex] \cos \theta [/tex] instead of [tex] \cos \phi [/tex] in the exponential. The reason for that is that you have an external field which point toward a non varying direction. In spherical basis and coordinates the only vector that fulfill this criteria is [tex]\hat{u}_z[/tex] whose scalar product with [tex]\hat{u}_r[/tex] gives [tex]\cos \theta [/tex].

Thanks, I got it. So we won't need r^2dr in the integral. I get the result that has sinh in it.

Shadowz said:
Thanks, I got it. So we won't need r^2dr in the integral. I get the result that has sinh in it.
No you don't need the [tex]r^2dr[/tex] part in the integral because your dipole has a fixed "length" and therefore its length shouldn't be taken as a degree of freedom.
I don't know exactly the result but a sinh sounds good to me.

Ya right. Thank you. The rest is easy, I think.

1. How does an electrical field affect the heat capacity of a substance?

The presence of an electrical field can alter the heat capacity of a substance by changing the vibrational and rotational energies of its molecules. This leads to a change in the amount of heat required to raise the substance's temperature.

2. Does the strength of the electrical field impact the heat capacity?

Yes, the strength of the electrical field can have a significant effect on the heat capacity of a substance. A stronger electrical field will cause a greater disruption in the molecules' energies, resulting in a larger change in heat capacity.

3. Can the effect of an electrical field on heat capacity be observed in all materials?

No, the effect of an electrical field on heat capacity is most commonly observed in materials with polar molecules, such as water. In non-polar materials, the effect may be minimal or non-existent.

4. How is the effect of an electrical field on heat capacity measured?

The effect of an electrical field on heat capacity can be measured by comparing the heat capacity of a substance with and without an applied electrical field. This can be done using a calorimeter or other heat measuring devices.

5. What practical applications does understanding the effect of an electrical field on heat capacity have?

Understanding the impact of an electrical field on heat capacity can have practical applications in various fields, such as materials science, engineering, and energy production. It can help in designing more efficient heating and cooling systems and in studying the properties of different materials under different conditions.