Effective Mass of Electron for White Tin

In summary, the effective mass for tin nanoparticles is determined based on the shape of the nanoparticle, with a spherical nanoparticle typically using the cyclotron effective mass from W A Roger and S B Woods. The value of the effective mass for a spherical tin nanoparticle is 0.2148 m0, which should be used when calculating the plasma resonance frequency.
Error404!
TL;DR Summary
I want a single representative effective mass for all electrons in tin(white) for a spherical tin nano-particle (for free electron - plasma model).
For some work of mine i need the plasma resonance frequency for tin nanoparticle, i searched various research papers and found different efffective masses tin for different orbits. here i attached screen shot from W A Roger and S B Woods (Cyclotron effective masses in white tin). What value is to be used for effective mass if oscillating electric field could be incident on spherical nanoparticle of tin from any direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The effective mass for tin nanoparticles is typically determined based on the shape of the nanoparticle. If the nanoparticle is spherical, then the effective mass will usually be determined by the cyclotron effective mass obtained from W A Roger and S B Woods. The value of the effective mass in this case would be 0.2148 m0 (where m0 is the free electron mass). This value should be used when calculating the plasma resonance frequency for a tin nanoparticle.

1. What is the effective mass of an electron in white tin?

The effective mass of an electron in white tin is approximately 0.21 times the mass of a free electron.

2. How is the effective mass of an electron in white tin determined?

The effective mass of an electron in white tin is determined through experimental measurements and theoretical calculations, taking into account the crystal structure and electronic band structure of white tin.

3. Why is the effective mass of an electron in white tin important?

The effective mass of an electron in white tin is important because it affects the behavior of electrons in the material, such as their mobility and response to external forces. It is also a crucial parameter in understanding the electronic properties of white tin and its potential applications.

4. How does the effective mass of an electron in white tin compare to other materials?

The effective mass of an electron in white tin is relatively low compared to other materials, such as silicon and germanium. This is due to the unique electronic band structure of white tin, which results in a lower effective mass.

5. Can the effective mass of an electron in white tin be modified?

Yes, the effective mass of an electron in white tin can be modified by changing the temperature or applying external pressure. These changes can alter the electronic band structure and therefore affect the effective mass of electrons in the material.