Efficiency of an Electric motor pulling a truck up an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the amount of electrical energy used by an electric motor, with one person initially attempting to use the equation (1/3)*(48kJ) but realizing it would give an incorrect answer. Another person provides a simpler explanation, stating that energy dissipated is equivalent to energy wasted, and using the efficiency formula, the total energy used by the motor is 72kJ. Therefore, the answer to the question is 24kJ, which is also shown in the provided picture.
Aaryan34532

Homework Statement

See picture.
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.42.44.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried at first just doing (1/3)*(48kJ) to get the energy dissipated, but that would i=give me 16kJ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.42.44.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.42.44.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,339
Physics news on Phys.org
How much electrical energy did the electric motor use, all told?

@jbriggs444 I figured it out.. so seeing 2/3 that's just an efficiency.. knowing that 48 is the total work out that means 48 is 2 and 1 is 24 thus 3 is 72 so then 2/3 is also 48/72 and then the energy dissapated from 72kJ to 48kJ is 24kJ so there we go. my explanation sucks, but i know it now..

Likes jbriggs444
Are you saying the answer is 24kJ? That's not correct.

Write down the equation for the efficiency of a motor in terms or power out and power in.

@CWatters But the answer for this question as shown in the picture is "B" which is 24kJ and my working proves it too... what makes you say 24kJ is not correct?

So you are saying that the motor consumes 24kj but produces 48kj. Where can I buy one :-)

Forget that my mistake. It asked for the dissipation. So you are correct.

Aaryan34532 said:

Homework Statement

See picture.View attachment 234970

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried at first just doing (1/3)*(48kJ) to get the energy dissipated, but that would i=give me 16kJ
I have a simpler explanation. Energy dissipated = energy wasted. So, using the formula of efficiency, the total energy used by the electric motor is 72kJ. Since the truck only gained 48kJ, wasted energy = 72-48 = 24kJ(B).

1. How does the efficiency of an electric motor pulling a truck up an inclined plane affect the overall performance?

The efficiency of an electric motor directly impacts the overall performance of pulling a truck up an inclined plane. A higher efficiency motor will require less energy and therefore perform better in terms of speed and power.

2. What factors influence the efficiency of an electric motor in this scenario?

The efficiency of an electric motor pulling a truck up an inclined plane can be influenced by several factors, including the type and quality of the motor, the weight and size of the truck, and the angle of the incline.

3. Is it more efficient to use a higher horsepower motor in this scenario?

While a higher horsepower motor may seem like the more efficient choice, it is not always the case. In some scenarios, a lower horsepower motor with a higher efficiency may be more suitable for pulling a truck up an inclined plane.

4. How can the efficiency of an electric motor be improved for this task?

The efficiency of an electric motor can be improved for pulling a truck up an inclined plane by using a motor with a higher power-to-weight ratio, reducing friction between the motor and the truck, and selecting the appropriate motor for the specific task.

5. Are there any alternative methods for pulling a truck up an inclined plane that may be more efficient than using an electric motor?

Yes, there are alternative methods for pulling a truck up an inclined plane that may be more efficient than using an electric motor. These include using a pulley system or employing a combination of human and mechanical power.