Designing a Self-Supporting Egg Catcher: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation is discussing the design of a device that can catch a hardboiled egg from 7 meters high. The device must be under 5 cm tall, self-supporting, and placed on hard wood. The speaker has been researching ideas online and asks for any additional ideas. They also mention using the weight and speed of the egg to determine the momentum the device needs to absorb.
Ering
Hello, I'm looking for any ideas that you geniuses may have!
We have to design a device that will catch a (hardboiled) egg from 7 meters high.
It can be made from any material/objects but must be under 5 cm tall (the sides can be as wide as wanted) and must be self-supporting.
The device will be placed on hard wood.

I've been looking up some ideas online, and figured I'd ask on here as well.

Thanks for any ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ering said:
Hello, I'm looking for any ideas that you geniuses may have!
We have to design a device that will catch a (hardboiled) egg from 7 meters high.
It can be made from any material/objects but must be under 5 cm tall (the sides can be as wide as wanted) and must be self-supporting.
The device will be placed on hard wood.

I've been looking up some ideas online, and figured I'd ask on here as well.

Thanks for any ideas!

What have you found so far? What are the relevant equations and concepts involved in this type of project?

If it was me I would probably weigh an egg, and figure how fast it is going after falling 7 meters. It should offer some clues as to the momentum the device is required to absorb. Ignoring air resistance will give a higher estimate, if that proves unrealistic you can probably get pretty close by assuming the egg is a sphere. In this I am assuming the egg is supposed to survive the ordeal.

What is the purpose of the "Egg catcher experiment"?

The purpose of the "Egg catcher experiment" is to demonstrate the concept of inertia and how it affects objects in motion. Specifically, it shows how a raw egg can be caught safely in a cup attached to a swinging string, even when the string is released from a horizontal position.

What materials are needed for the "Egg catcher experiment"?

The materials needed for the "Egg catcher experiment" include a raw egg, a cup, a string, and a sturdy surface to attach the string to, such as a door knob or hook.

How do you set up the "Egg catcher experiment"?

To set up the "Egg catcher experiment", first attach one end of the string to the surface and the other end to the cup. Make sure the cup is hanging at a horizontal position. Then, place the egg in the cup. Finally, pull the cup back and release it, allowing it to swing like a pendulum.

Why does the egg not break when caught in the cup during the "Egg catcher experiment"?

The egg does not break because of the concept of inertia. When the cup is released, it continues to move in a straight line due to its inertia. The egg also has inertia, so it wants to continue moving in a straight line as well. However, the cup's string prevents the egg from doing so, causing it to move in a circular motion and land safely in the cup.

How does the "Egg catcher experiment" relate to real-life situations?

The "Egg catcher experiment" relates to real-life situations where inertia plays a role, such as in car accidents or sports. It also demonstrates the importance of using safety measures, such as wearing a seatbelt, to prevent injury due to inertia.