Analyzing an Electric Circuit: Finding Req with KVL and KCL

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem where the goal is to find the equivalent resistance (Req) using Kirchoff's laws. The circuit includes a voltage source of 7.1V and resistors with given values. The conversation suggests using the KVL and KCL equations to solve the problem and advises identifying loops and junctions in the circuit. The conversation also mentions labeling current through each resistor and using them as unknowns in the equations. The final goal is to find the current coming from the first circuit and solve the problem to find Req.
mikil100

Homework Statement

[/B]
http://imgur.com/Kq5e4Ka This is the circuit I need to find the Req for, the only things given are the Voltage of 7.1, and the resistance of each circuit.

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchhoffs laws, the KVL and KCL.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have spent some time trying to solve this circuit, however I now realize that using circuits in parallel and in series is not an option due to the 2.3 ohm resistor, my instructor told me to use the KVL and KCL equations to solve, but I am unfamiliar with these as we haven't gone over them in class.

From what I have tried to do so far, I want to identify all of the loops ( which I didnt do in the picture to leave it easy to view), and all of the junctions to start the equations. I named resistors according to their Ohms.
There is a loop from the
11R, 2.1R, and 6.0R resistor,
11R,7.9R, and 7.7R
11R, 2.1R, 2.3R, and 7.7R
11R,7.9R,2.3R, 6R

There are junctions for
R11=R2.1+R7.9
R2.1=R2.3+R6.0
R7.9=R2.3+R7.7
And you can say R6.0+R7.7=R11 I believe

This is where I hit a wall... mathematically I am unsure where to proceed, I know that I have several unknowns and several equations, therefore meaning I need to solve by combination of equations, but when I try to do this I get mixed up with combining the equations and end up with many values I cannot solve for.
My goal is to find the current coming from the first circuit, and I believe from there for solution will become much easier.

Some people have mentioned using matrices but this is something completely unknown to me, so I believe algebra is the only option. Am I on the right path to solving this problem, so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take all the labels off the circuit and just make all the components into wires, do you see 3 rectangles (1 big on the left with 2 smaller next to it on the right) ? THOSE are what you should be using as loops. Draw current loops in each. Write the sum of the voltages around each loop and you will have 3 equations in 3 unknowns. Solve. Write it up neatly on your homework sheet. Go out for pizza.

phinds said:
If you take all the labels off the circuit and just make all the components into wires, do you see 3 rectangles (1 big on the left with 2 smaller next to it on the right) ? THOSE are what you should be using as loops. Draw current loops in each. Write the sum of the voltages around each loop and you will have 3 equations in 3 unknowns. Solve. Write it up neatly on your homework sheet. Go out for pizza.

So make 11R, 2.1R, 6.0R one loop for the left side and for the right two boxes

and for the left
2.1R, 2.3R 7.9R

2.3R, 6.0R 7.7R?

Uh ... you think maybe the voltage source should be included?

Sorry, I should have showed that.. 11R+2.1R+6.0R=7.1
I'm not sure the same can be said for the other two loops though?

mikil100 said:
Sorry, I should have showed that.. 11R+2.1R+6.0R=7.1
I'm not sure the same can be said for the other two loops though?

Uh ... not sure WHAT can be said for the other two loops? That the voltage source be shown? Well it's not IN those loops is it?

Well.. yes but isn't the voltage for the two second loops going to be less due to the voltage drop from the first resistor?
and also I'm not seeing how I can get 3 unknowns... I would still have to worry about the 7.9 ohm resistor and 7.7ohm resistor

reread post #2. Carefully.

Before you can write equations you need something else: label the currents through each resistor. Like I1, I2, I3...
Both Kirchoff's rules include currents. So far you did not write meaningful equations. The currents will be the unknowns in the equations.

nasu said:
Before you can write equations you need something else: label the currents through each resistor. Like I1, I2, I3...
Both Kirchoff's rules include currents. So far you did not write meaningful equations. The currents will be the unknowns in the equations.

This is exactly what I told him to do in post #2 ... draw the current loops and write the voltage equations around the loops. Short of actually redrawing the figure and solving it for him, I don't see what other hints there are to give.

Sometimes you have to repeat the hints, until they go through. :)

What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path or network through which electricity can flow. It is made up of various components, such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and power sources, that are connected in a specific way to allow the flow of electric current.

What is the purpose of electric circuit analysis?

Electric circuit analysis is used to study and understand the behavior of electric circuits. It involves using mathematical and scientific principles to analyze and predict the flow of current, voltage, and power within a circuit.

What are the basic laws and principles used in electric circuit analysis?

Some of the basic laws and principles used in electric circuit analysis include Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the principle of superposition. These laws help to determine the relationships between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit.

What are the different methods of electric circuit analysis?

There are several methods of electric circuit analysis, including nodal analysis, mesh analysis, and Thevenin's and Norton's theorems. Each method has its own advantages and is used to solve different types of circuits.

Why is electric circuit analysis important?

Electric circuit analysis is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electrical systems. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits used in various technologies, such as electronics, power systems, and communication networks.