1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuits (resolving them)

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    "you have four identical resistors, each with a resistance of R. You are asked to connect these four together so that the equivalent resistance of the resulting combination is R, How many ways can you do it? There is more than one way. Justify your answer"

I can only think of ONE way to do this. (you can neglect a voltage or current source, as its equivalent resistors), but for good measure, let V be the voltage source, ignore the .'s

Can anyone help me find any other combinations of these four identical resistors that gives the same resistance as the equivalent?

as far as I know, i am not allowed to have any of the resistors being 'open circuited' so that they do not affect the circuit.

any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    I suppose it depends on what constitutes a unique circuit. For instance you can put in series two parallel combinations. Equivalently you can put in parallel two series combinations.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?