1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric feild prob

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    two wires in the shape of a 9o degrees circular arc of radius R have charges
    +(-) Q distributed uniformly on them. They are positioned opposite eachother in the second and 4th quadrants. Show that the electric feild at the origin is
    [tex]\frac{4kQ}{\pi R^2}[/tex]

I tried starting with the electric feild of a line
    [tex]\frac{2k\lambda}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda=\frac{Q}{d\theta}[/tex]

plugged that in, and then i wasn't sure what to do... integrate with respect to theta? but then i wasn't sure how to do that when theta was in the denom... help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're missing a term in your charge density. Check the units -- they should be charge per length.

Anyways, for the line approximation to be useful, you have to be close enough so that the wire is effectually an infinitely long, straight line. When you're way over at the origin, the wires look neither infinitely long, nor straight.

I would go all the way back to Coulomb's law.

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    :grumpy: you're right... back to the drawing board

5. Mar 6, 2005 #4
    ok so coulumbs law... i'm not sure how to get [tex]\pi[/tex] out of that...
    can i say
    [tex]E=\frac{kdQ}{r^2d\theta}[/tex]

and then if so, can i integrate that... i'm sorry, i'm looking at it and it looks really obvious, but i can't get it to do anything...

6. Mar 6, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, a lot of that expression is constant...

I don't think you have the expression right though... I still think you're missing a factor in the charge density, and you need to use the vector form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?