Electric Field of 90° Arc of 2 Wires w/ Uniform Charge - Q/πR^2

In summary, two wires in the shape of a 9o degrees circular arc of radius R have charges +(-) Q distributed uniformly on them. They are positioned opposite each other in the second and 4th quadrants. The electric field at the origin is\frac{4kQ}{\pi R^2}
Gale
two wires in the shape of a 9o degrees circular arc of radius R have charges
+(-) Q distributed uniformly on them. They are positioned opposite each other in the second and 4th quadrants. Show that the electric field at the origin is
[tex]\frac{4kQ}{\pi R^2}[/tex]

I tried starting with the electric field of a line
[tex]\frac{2k\lambda}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda=\frac{Q}{d\theta}[/tex]

plugged that in, and then i wasn't sure what to do... integrate with respect to theta? but then i wasn't sure how to do that when theta was in the denom... help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing a term in your charge density. Check the units -- they should be charge per length.

Anyways, for the line approximation to be useful, you have to be close enough so that the wire is effectually an infinitely long, straight line. When you're way over at the origin, the wires look neither infinitely long, nor straight.

I would go all the way back to Coulomb's law.

Hurkyl said:
You're missing a term in your charge density. Check the units -- they should be charge per length.

Anyways, for the line approximation to be useful, you have to be close enough so that the wire is effectually an infinitely long, straight line. When you're way over at the origin, the wires look neither infinitely long, nor straight.

I would go all the way back to Coulomb's law.

:grumpy: you're right... back to the drawing board

ok so coulumbs law... I'm not sure how to get [tex]\pi[/tex] out of that...
can i say
[tex]E=\frac{kdQ}{r^2d\theta}[/tex]

and then if so, can i integrate that... I'm sorry, I'm looking at it and it looks really obvious, but i can't get it to do anything...

Well, a lot of that expression is constant...

I don't think you have the expression right though... I still think you're missing a factor in the charge density, and you need to use the vector form.

1. What is the definition of "Electric Field of 90° Arc of 2 Wires w/ Uniform Charge - Q/πR^2"?

The electric field of 90° arc of 2 wires with uniform charge refers to the strength and direction of the electric field at any point in the space surrounding the arc, which is formed by two wires with equal and opposite charges that are arranged in a 90° angle and have a uniform distribution of charge along their length.

2. How is the electric field calculated for this system?

The electric field at any point in the space surrounding the 90° arc can be calculated using the formula E = Q/πR^2, where Q represents the total charge of the wires and R is the distance from the point to the center of the arc.

3. What is the direction of the electric field in this system?

The direction of the electric field is radial, pointing away from the center of the arc. This means that the electric field lines are perpendicular to the wires and form a circular pattern around the arc.

4. How does the electric field strength change as you move away from the arc?

The electric field strength decreases as you move away from the arc. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of the field. As you move further away from the arc, the distance increases and therefore the electric field strength decreases.

5. What is the significance of the 90° angle in this system?

The 90° angle between the two wires plays a significant role in determining the strength and direction of the electric field in this system. It allows for a more uniform distribution of charge along the wires and creates a symmetrical electric field pattern around the arc.