Electric Field and Charge of a Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations involved in finding the electric field, charge, potential difference, and capacitance of a cathode-ray tube (CRT). The dimensions of the deflection plates and the time interval are given, and the equations used include impulse, force, and electric field. The attempt to calculate the charge is shown, but the correct calculation is later found to be -1.6e-19C. The conversation also acknowledges the need to calculate the field strength before finding the charge.
Squall

Homework Statement

In a cathode-ray tube (CRT), an electron travels in a vacuum and enters a region between two "deflection" plates which have equal and opposite charges. The dimensions of each plate are L = 13 cm by d = 4 cm, and the gap between them is h = 2.5 mm.

During a 0.001 s interval while it is between the plates, the change of the momentum of the electron is < 0, 5.60e-17, 0 > kg m/s.

What is the electric field between the plates?

What is the charge (both magnitude and sign) of the upper plate?
E is pointing upwards towards the upper plate from the bottom one.

Homework Equations

Impulse = Force * Time
F= q*Enet
E= (Q/A)/(permittivity constant) "per"

The Attempt at a Solution

F = <0,5.6e-17,0>(kg*m/s) / .001(s)
Enet = F/Q
Enet = (Q/A)/"per"
F/Q=(Q/A)/"per"
Q=sqrt("per"*F*A)
Q=sqrt(8.854e-12(C^2/Nm^2) * <0,5.6e-14,0>(N) * .0052(m^2)
Q=5.077e-14C

Well this is my attempt to find the charge and it seems I am doing something wrong, can you please point me in the right direction.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the field strength.
With the field strength and the geometry given, calculate the potential difference (voltage) across the plates.
Calculate the capacitance of the plate arrangement.
With the capacitance and the voltage across it, find the charge.

I am sorry but can you tell me how I would go about calculating the strength of the field. I assumed you would have to know the charge first to figure out the strength.

Tell me if I'm headed in the right direction since we are dealing with an electron I know the charge therefore should be able to figure out the electric field using the F=qE formula.
|F|= 5.6e-14N
q= -1.6e-19C
E=350,000 N/C

Thank You, I figured it out

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. This force can either be attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges involved.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by placing an electric charge in space. The charge creates an electric field around itself. Additionally, an electric field can also be created by changing magnetic fields, according to Maxwell's equations.

3. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When connected to a voltage source, one plate becomes positively charged while the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between the plates.

4. How does a capacitor store charge?

A capacitor stores charge by maintaining a potential difference (voltage) between its two plates. When connected to a voltage source, electrons from one plate are attracted to the other plate, creating a flow of charge. Once the plates reach their maximum capacity, the capacitor is said to be fully charged.

5. What is the relationship between electric field and charge of a capacitor?

The electric field in a capacitor is directly proportional to the charge stored on the plates. This means that as the amount of charge on the plates increases, the strength of the electric field also increases. Similarly, decreasing the charge on the plates will result in a weaker electric field.