Electric Field and Electric Potential Question

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of electric field and potential in a square with charges located at three corners. The electric field at the empty corner was found to be 2.34x10^6 N/C, the electric potential was 3.34x10^5 Volts, and the work done to move a +1 microC charge from the center to the empty corner was 0.077J. The direction of the electric field was determined to be to the south east at a 45 degree angle below the positive x-axis.
iurod

Homework Statement

You have a Square with 10cm lengths on each side. Charges of +4 microC (top right corner), -6 microC (top left corner), and +4 microC (bottom left corner) are located at three corners of the square.

A) Calculate the electric field in the empty corner of the square.
B) Calculate the electric potential at the empty corner of the square?
C) How much work is done if we move a +1 microC charge from the center of the square to the empty corner of the square?

Sorry for not being able to upload the pic, I am kinda not savvy with that kind of stuff.

Homework Equations

Part A:
Electric Field = k(Q/length2)
have to take vector addition into account

Part B:
Electric Potential = k(Q/Length)

Part C:
Work = Q(Vb-Va)

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
E due to the two 4 microC charges are the same so:
k(Q/length2)
(9.0 x 109) ((4x10-6)/0.01)
E = 3.6 x 106 N/C

if I add these two electric field vectorially i get 5.1x106 ([tex]\sqrt{}((3.6x106)2)+(3.6x106)2)[/tex])

Then I find the Electric Field due to the point charge in the top right corner (-6 microC)
k(Q/length2)
(9.0 x 109) ((6x10-6)/0.0196)
E = 2.76 x 106 N/C

Then since this vector opposes the net of the other two vector I can subtract them to get the overall net Electric Field.

(5.1 x 106 N/C) - (2.76 x 106 N/C) = 2.34x106 N/C

B)
K((+4microC/0.1) + (+4microC/0.1) + (-6microC/0.14))
Electric potential = 3.34x105 Volts

C)
Work = Q(Vb-Va) I already have Vb from part B so I need to find Va

Va = k((+4microC/0.07) + (+4microC/0.07) + (-6microC/0.07))
Va = 2.25x105 Volts

Work = Q(Vb-Va)
Work = +1microC ((3.34x105 Volts) -(2.25x105 Volts)) = 0.077Joules

I'm I doing this correctly, I don't have the answers to check my work...

Thank you very much with your help and time on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone??

I think it looks right. The only problem I see is that when you are asked to calculate the electric field, you need to give a vector answer (magnitude and direction), not just magnitude. The rest looks correct.

oh, I totally skipped that: it would be Magnitude 5.1x10^6 N/C to the south east (45 degrees below the positive x-axis?

Thank you for your help!

Dear student,

Your calculations for parts A and B seem correct. For part C, your calculation for Va is incorrect. The potential at the center of the square should be the average of the potential at the two 4 microC charges, which would be (k(4x10^-6/0.07) + k(4x10^-6/0.07))/2 = 2.25x10^5 V. Therefore, the work done would be:

Work = Q(Vb-Va)
Work = +1 microC ((3.34x10^5 V) - (2.25x10^5 V)) = 1.09x10^-4 J

Overall, your approach and calculations seem correct. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is created by the presence of one or more charged particles and can be either attractive or repulsive.

2. How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge on the particle. It is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are closely related. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. The direction of electric field is always perpendicular to the direction of electric potential and the magnitude of electric field is proportional to the rate of change of electric potential.

4. How does the presence of a charged object affect the electric field and potential in its surroundings?

The presence of a charged object creates an electric field and potential in its surroundings. The strength of the electric field and potential decreases with distance from the charged object. The direction of the field and potential depends on the sign of the charge, with positive charges creating an outward field and potential and negative charges creating an inward field and potential.

5. How can electric field and potential be used in practical applications?

Electric field and potential have many practical applications, such as in electronic devices, power transmission, and medical equipment. They are also used in fields such as electrostatics, electromagnetism, and particle accelerators to study and manipulate electrically charged particles.