Electric Field and total energy

In summary, the problem asks to locate the point where the total electric field is zero between two point charges of -12.0 µC and -2.0 µC located at y = 7.0 m and y = -4.0 m respectively. To find this point, we can use the equation E = (K lql) / r^2 and set the two electric field vectors equal to zero. After setting up the equations, we can see that the error in the attempt at the solution was using -4 instead of 4 for the distance between the charges.
SamTsui86

Homework Statement

Two point charges lie along the y axis. A charge of q1 = -12.0 µC is at y = 7.0 m, and a charge of q2 = -2.0 µC is at y = -4.0 m. Locate the point (other than infinity) at which the total electric field is zero.

Homework Equations

E = (K lql) / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I setup the two equation make E = 0
so

(K lq1l) / (7-y)^2 = (K lq2l) / (-4+y)^2

It's wrong, please correct my equation

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that equation is wrong?

I think the equation is wrong because I double checked all my math and it said that the answer is wrong.

Ok, Let's review again:

The point in which the electric field will be 0 is between the charges. Because of the standard convention. You picked a point inside so it's correct.

Next we have to set our electric field vectors, such that:

[tex] \vec{E}_{1} + \vec{E}_{2} = \vec{0} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{E}_{1} = K \frac{|q_{1}|}{(7-y)^{2}} \vec{j} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{E}_{2} = -K \frac{|q_{1}|}{(4+y)^{2}} \vec{j} [/tex]

so, the error was using -4, because r will be a distance.

Last edited:

FAQ: Electric Field and total energy

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric forces on charged particles. It is represented by a vector that points in the direction a positive charge would move when placed in the field.

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. It is also affected by the distance between the charged particle and the source of the field.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and potential energy?

The electric field is directly related to potential energy. The potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field is equal to the product of the charge and the electric potential at that point. As the electric field increases, so does the potential energy of the charged particle.

4. How is the total energy of a system affected by electric fields?

The total energy of a system is affected by electric fields in two ways. First, the potential energy of charged particles in the field contributes to the total energy. Second, the electric field can do work on charged particles, transferring energy to or from the system.

5. Can electric fields be shielded or cancelled out?

Yes, electric fields can be shielded or cancelled out by placing conductive materials in the path of the field. This is often used in electronics to prevent interference between different components. Additionally, the electric fields of multiple charged particles can cancel each other out if they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

Back