Electric Field at Midpoint of Equilateral Triangle

In summary, the problem involves a system of three charges, q1=+5.0uC, q2=+5.0uC, and q3=-5.0uC, arranged in an equilateral triangle with q2 at the top vertex. The task is to find the magnitude of the electric field at a point halfway between q1 and q2, which is at a distance of 2.95cm. The equation used is E= k q/r^2, and in order to find the distance, the midpoint between q1 and q2 is taken and the distance to q3 is calculated. This distance is used as r in the equation. The resulting answer may seem large, but this is due to the
Brit412

Homework Statement

The figure shows a system consisting of three charges, q1=+5.0uC, q2=+5.0uC and
q3=-5.0uC, at the vertices of an equilateral triangle (with q2 at the top point of the triangle).
Find the magnitude of the electric field at a point halfway between the charges q1 and q2.
distance= 2.95cm

Homework Equations

i know an equation is E= k q/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So since it wanted to know the halfway point, I divided the distance between the points in half and used it as r. And I figured that the charges have an x and y component but what angles do I use??

Physics news on Phys.org
Triangle is equilateral. So the sides are equal. Find the distance between the charge q3 and the mid point of charge q1 and q2. The line joining q3 and mid point is perpendicular to the line joining q1 and q2.

I got a pretty big number (a number times 10^8). That seems too big??

Related to Electric Field at Midpoint of Equilateral Triangle

1. What is an electric field charge?

An electric field charge refers to the force field that surrounds an electrically charged particle. It is a vector field that represents the direction and strength of the force that would be exerted on other charged particles in the vicinity.

2. How is an electric field charge measured?

An electric field charge is measured in volts per meter (V/m) or newtons per coulomb (N/C). These units represent the strength of the electric field at a given point in space.

3. What is the relationship between electric field charges and electric potential?

Electric field charges and electric potential are closely related. The electric field represents the force that would be exerted on a charged particle, while electric potential represents the potential energy that a particle would have at a given point in the electric field. In other words, the electric field is the cause and the electric potential is the effect.

4. How do electric field charges interact with each other?

Electric field charges interact with each other through the force of attraction or repulsion. Similar charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. The strength of the force depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

5. What are some practical applications of electric field charges?

Electric field charges have many practical applications, such as in electronics, where they are used to power devices and transmit information. They are also used in medical imaging, such as in the case of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Electric field charges are also utilized in industrial processes, such as electroplating and electrostatic painting.