1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field at the center of an equilateral triangle

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attached image

2. Relevant equations

1/4πε*q/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that since the problem gives centimeters, there are initial changes to units to be made in the permittivity constant.

This makes it 8.86x10^-9 N/nanoCoulombs and 100 mm.

But I'm not sure how to apply my electric field equation.

Since it is an equilateral triangle, the two positive charges on either side are the same, so that value is doubled. The angles are 30°. I'm not sure what to do beyond this. Is this a case of the y-values canceling, and then integrating the x-values?

Please help. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It generally makes more sense to change units from cm to meters than to change units of the physical constants.

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    Ok, cool.
    So I'm using:

(3.8x10^-8) C = Q

ε = 8.85x10^-12 F/m

The distance from each of the rods can be found using a right triangle and Pythagorean theorem:

√(0.05 m)^2 + (0.1 m)^2

= 0.112 m/2
    r = 0.056 m

I'm almost positive that in using the formula for electric field, there must be trigonometry involved to find the net field at the center point. But I'm not sure what to do exactly.

I know that sin(30) = 0.5' = -56.61°

and cos(30) = 0.866' = 8.84°

I know also that the charges must cancel to some extent.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  5. Mar 28, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I forgot to mention, that I don't see any image, so I really don't know any details of the problem you're trying to solve.

6. Mar 28, 2013 #5
    Ah. There are three uniformly charged rods arranged in an equilateral triangle. Each is 10 cm in length. Two on either side have a charge of 38nC. The bottom one has a charge of -38nC. What is the net electric field on the point Q in the center of the triangle?

7. Mar 28, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to find the electric field along the perpendicular bisector of a finite length uniform line charge ? -- In this case that's along the perpendicular bisector of a 10 cm rod with uniform charge, 38nC .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted