Electric Field & Coulomb's Law Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a small plastic ball suspended in a uniform electric field. The goal is to determine the net charge on the ball, with the use of Coulumb's Law and the FBD of the ball. The participants also discuss the concept of net charge and how to determine it in this scenario. The conversation also briefly touches on another problem involving finding the electric potential between two charged spherical shells using Gauss's Law.
AznBoi

Homework Statement

A small 2g plastic ball is suspended by a 20 cm long string in a uniform electric field. If the ball is in equilibrium when the string makes a 15 degree angle with the vertical as indicated, what is the net charge on the ball?

Here's the diagram:
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7931/prob50diagramsk2.th.png

Homework Equations

Coulumb's Law of electric force equation. F=kq1q2/r^2
Electric force equations. F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew a FBD of the ball and the forces acting on it.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3921/prob50fbdzy9.th.png

Did I draw it correctly? I just want to confirm this first. There are only 2 x direction forces acting on it correct? The F_e is equal to q*E?? E being the electric force?

So do I just make T_x=qE and solve for the q? I don't get what they mean by net charge on the ball. Thanks! =D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone tell me if I'm going in the right direction? I think I know how to do the problem, but I just need to know if I'm missing anything. I also don't get what they want when they say "net charge on the ball." Thanks!:smile: Btw, this is an even problem and has no answer. Therefore, I'm being more cautious and careful on this problem.

So are the only (x) direction forces acting on the charge Tx going leftwards and the Electric force? The net charge would be the charge of the ball correct? which would be (q)? The equation I'm using is: F_e+T_x=0

F_e=qE so, qE+T_x=0 Solving for q=T_x/E Would (q) be the net charge that the problem is asking for? Can someone please confirm my work? thanks!

you are on the right track.--now you need to figure out how to determine the force of T_x.

Ja4Coltrane said:
you are on the right track.--now you need to figure out how to determine the force of T_x.
Ok, thanks for the reply! I just solve for (q) right? is that the net charge that they want?

sir will u please explain how to find electric potential between two charged spherical shells of radius a and b such that b>a

Hi, if you're asking a question which is unrelated to the one above it's best to do so in a new thread to avoid "hijacking" it. The above one is a little old, anyway. And in your question you need to make clear if the 2 shells are concentric; ie. sharing the same centre.

If so, what can you conclude from Gauss law?

Related to Electric Field & Coulomb's Law Problem

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the effect of an electric force on a charged particle. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by a charged object in its surrounding space.

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the magnitude of the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you calculate the electric field between two charges?

The electric field between two charges can be calculated by dividing the electrostatic force between the charges by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be expressed as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the electrostatic force, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in SI units. It can also be expressed as volts per meter (V/m) as electric field is closely related to voltage, which is measured in volts.

Can the electric field be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. This indicates the direction of the force on a negative test charge. A negative electric field means the force would push the test charge in the opposite direction of the field.