1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field & energy in a spherical distribution of charge

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-2-16_22-20-39.png

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really confused with question a, I have an idea of how to answer b and c once I obtain an answer for part a... My best guess would be to use Gauss, but I am not sure. Would the field inside be 0? What will the bounds of integration be when I integrate to find the charge, right now I get a charge of 2pi(a^3)? I am working on my solution and will post a picture when I get something useful, but can someone explain? Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Choose a suitable volume to write out your relevant equation in terms of the variables and post your working...

4. Feb 17, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question is a bit unclear. I assume that a/r is for the charge density at a distance r from the centre of the sphere radius a.

5. Feb 18, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree (as almost always :smile:). It is unclear in the sense that (most probably) the composer forgot to mention 'for ##r\le a##' in ##'\rho = ...' \ ##; and ## \rho = 0\ ## for ##r>a## ' so you make that assumption, mention it in your answer, and continue with the exercise.

6. Feb 24, 2017 #5
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-2-24_12-24-22.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am at the first part of the question. For the inside field, I did the following (and the same for the outside, just using different bounds of integration)
    upload_2017-2-24_12-31-0.png
    In the given solution, they use electric displacement
    upload_2017-2-24_12-28-0.png
    Why not just use Gauss' law like usual, like I did?

7. Feb 24, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They do. ##\vec D=\varepsilon \vec E##.

I will ask a mentor to move this to the identical thread you started a week ago ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted