Electric field & energy in a spherical distribution of charge

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework problem involving Gauss' law and electric displacement in a sphere. The question is a bit unclear but the assumption is made that the charge density is for r ≤ a and is 0 for r > a. The solution involves using electric displacement, while the person asking the question wonders why Gauss' law is not used. However, it is clarified that Gauss' law is indeed used in the solution.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2017-2-16_22-20-39.png

Homework Equations

Gauss

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really confused with question a, I have an idea of how to answer b and c once I obtain an answer for part a... My best guess would be to use Gauss, but I am not sure. Would the field inside be 0? What will the bounds of integration be when I integrate to find the charge, right now I get a charge of 2pi(a^3)? I am working on my solution and will post a picture when I get something useful, but can someone explain? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Choose a suitable volume to write out your relevant equation in terms of the variables and post your working...

The question is a bit unclear. I assume that a/r is for the charge density at a distance r from the centre of the sphere radius a.

I agree (as almost always :smile:). It is unclear in the sense that (most probably) the composer forgot to mention 'for ##r\le a##' in ##'\rho = ...' \ ##; and ## \rho = 0\ ## for ##r>a## ' so you make that assumption, mention it in your answer, and continue with the exercise.

Homework Statement

upload_2017-2-24_12-24-22.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am at the first part of the question. For the inside field, I did the following (and the same for the outside, just using different bounds of integration)
upload_2017-2-24_12-31-0.png

In the given solution, they use electric displacement
upload_2017-2-24_12-28-0.png

Why not just use Gauss' law like usual, like I did?

They do. ##\vec D=\varepsilon \vec E##.

I will ask a mentor to move this to the identical thread you started a week ago ...

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charged particles. It is created by the presence of electrically charged objects and can be represented by electric field lines.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field at a point in space is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be represented mathematically as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

3. What is a spherical distribution of charge?

A spherical distribution of charge refers to a collection of electric charges that are evenly distributed on the surface of a sphere. This can be seen in natural phenomena such as the Earth's magnetic field or in man-made objects like a spherical capacitor.

4. How is electric potential energy related to electric field?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. The amount of potential energy is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field and the magnitude of the charge. This relationship can be represented mathematically as U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.

5. What is the significance of electric field and energy in a spherical distribution of charge?

The electric field and energy in a spherical distribution of charge play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrically charged objects. They help explain the forces and interactions between charged particles and can be used to calculate the potential energy stored in a system. This knowledge is important in a wide range of applications, from electronics and technology to natural phenomena like lightning and auroras.