Electric field of infinite plate

In summary: yes but is one the -cos option and the other the +cod option?yes but is one the -cos option and the other the +cod option?
Dell
2 infinite plates are placed one next to another in a V formation with an angle β between them, they have charge densities of σ1 and σ2. what is the magitude of the field betweein them.

ϕ=[tex]\oint[/tex]EdA=EA
ϕ=[tex]\frac{q}{ϵ}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{σA}{ϵ}[/tex]

E1=[tex]\frac{σ1}{ϵ}[/tex]
E2=[tex]\frac{σ2}{ϵ}[/tex]

E=E1+E2

lets make our x-axis parallel to plate 1 giving E1 a 0 value on x axis
Ex= 0 + [tex]\frac{σ2}{ϵ}[/tex]*sinβ
Ey= [tex]\frac{σ1}{ϵ}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{σ2}{ϵ}[/tex]*cosβ

|E|2=|Ex|2 + |Ey|2
=([tex]\frac{σ2}{ϵ}[/tex]*sinβ)2 +([tex]\frac{σ1}{ϵ}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{σ2}{ϵ}[/tex]*cosβ)2
=[tex]\frac{1}{ϵ}[/tex]*(σ22sin2β + σ12 + σ22cos2β + 2(σ1)(σ2)cosβ )
=[tex]\frac{1}{ϵ}[/tex]*(σ22(sin2β + cos2β ) + σ12 + 2(σ1)(σ2)cosβ)

|E|2=[tex]\frac{1}{ϵ}[/tex]*(σ12 + σ22 + 2(σ1)(σ2)cosβ)

which is almost right except that in my answers there is a second possible solution that

|E|2=[tex]\frac{1}{ϵ}[/tex]*(σ12 + σ22 - 2(σ1)(σ2)cosβ)

where does this minus come from? originally i thought it might be because of a possible negative charge density but surely if that was so the sign would be part of σ and come automatically when i plug in values

Physics news on Phys.org
i see the latex codes came all messed up, meant to read:

Ex= 0 + (σ2/ɛ)*sinβ
Ey=(σ1/ɛ) + (σ2/ɛ)*cosβ

|E|^2=|Ex|^2 + |Ey|^2

and at the end after calculations come to

|E|^2=(1/ɛ)*(σ1^2 + σ2^2 + 2(σ1)(σ2)cosβ)

where there is meant to be a second option of

|E|^2=(1/ɛ)*(σ1^2 + σ2^2 + 2(σ1)(σ2)cosβ)

and i can't see where from. originally i thought it might be because of a possible negative charge density but surely if that was so the sign would be part of σ and come automatically when i plug in values

Depending on the angle cosβ has a range of +1 to -1 doesn't it?

correct, so does that mean that if 90<β<270 then i will use the minus option? could i then also say |E|^2=(1/ɛ)*(σ1^2 + σ2^2 + 2(σ1)(σ2)|cosβ|)

Dell said:
correct, so does that mean that if 90<β<270 then i will use the minus option? could i then also say |E|^2=(1/ɛ)*(σ1^2 + σ2^2 + 2(σ1)(σ2)|cosβ|)

I think all it means is that there are 2 solutions depending on the angle of β.

Your representation above ignores the second solution where cosβ is (-).

what are the 2 options? is it

|E|^2=(1/ɛ)*(σ1^2 + σ2^2 + 2(σ1)(σ2)cosβ) when (cosβ>1)

and

|E|^2=(1/ɛ)*(σ1^2 + σ2^2 - 2(σ1)(σ2)cosβ) when (cosβ<1)

?

if so than can i not just say that it is
|E|^2=(1/ɛ)*(σ1^2 + σ2^2 + 2(σ1)(σ2)|cosβ|)

and then cos will always be positive, in effect that is what i am doing anyway, taking minus the value of the negative cos

looking back at the original question and the one i posted, i see that in the original the 2 plates formed an X like shape whereas i wrote in my post a V shape, originally i never thought anything of it but now looking back i think that the (- cosB) is for the area between the top and bottom points of the X on either side whereas the ( + cosB) is for the area between the top 2 points or bottom 2 points, (when B is an acute angle,) or alternatively the opposite(when B is obtuse).
is this a correct presumption?

Dell said:
looking back at the original question and the one i posted, i see that in the original the 2 plates formed an X like shape whereas i wrote in my post a V shape, originally i never thought anything of it but now looking back i think that the (- cosB) is for the area between the top and bottom points of the X on either side whereas the ( + cosB) is for the area between the top 2 points or bottom 2 points, (when B is an acute angle,) or alternatively the opposite(when B is obtuse).
is this a correct presumption?

An X configuration does simultaneously create 2 regions (4 actually, but 2 sets of 2).

yes but is one the -cos option and the other the +cod option?

Dell said:
yes but is one the -cos option and the other the +cod option?

One governs acute angles and the other obtuse doesn't it?

What is an infinite plate in relation to electric fields?

An infinite plate is a theoretical concept used in physics to represent a surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is often used to simplify calculations and models of electric fields.

How does an infinite plate create an electric field?

An infinite plate creates an electric field by having a constant surface charge density. This means that the charge is uniformly distributed across the entire surface of the plate, resulting in a uniform electric field around the plate.

What is the direction of the electric field around an infinite plate?

The electric field around an infinite plate is perpendicular to the surface of the plate. This means that the electric field lines are parallel and pointing away from the plate on one side and towards the plate on the other side.

How does the magnitude of the electric field vary around an infinite plate?

The magnitude of the electric field around an infinite plate is constant and does not depend on the distance from the plate. This is because the charge density is uniform and the electric field is a result of this charge distribution.

Can the electric field of an infinite plate be affected by external factors?

Yes, the electric field of an infinite plate can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other charges or conducting materials nearby. This can alter the direction and magnitude of the electric field near the plate.