Electric Field over a charged cylinder using only Coulomb's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field at a point on the central axis of a solid, uniformly charged cylinder. The homework equations and integrals are set up, but there is confusion about the 1 inside the brackets in the expression. After re-evaluating and making changes, the first term vanishes, but the second term still leads to a logarithm expression that cannot be reduced to 0.
PeteyCoco

Homework Statement

What is the electric field at a point on the central axis of a solid, uniformly charged cylinder of radis R and length h?

Homework Equations

Well, I've set up the triple integral and have gotten to this point:

[itex]\bar{E}_{z}=\frac{2\pi\rho}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int^{h/2}_{-h/2}[1-\frac{z'-z}{\sqrt{(z'-z)^{2}+R^{2}}}]dz[/itex] , z' is the location of the test point

When I integrate this I get a constant term and a mess of logarithms. I know that the field should be 0 when z' = 0, but it doesn't check out. What's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
PeteyCoco said:
Well, I've set up the triple integral and have gotten to this point:

[itex]\bar{E}_{z}=\frac{2\pi\rho}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int^{h/2}_{-h/2}[1-\frac{z'-z}{\sqrt{(z'-z)^{2}+R^{2}}}]dz[/itex]

Re-evaluate how you got the 1 inside the brackets in the expression above. I suspect that you got this from assuming that ##\frac{z'-z}{\sqrt{(z'-z)^2}} = 1##. But, recall that ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##.

Alright. Now that I've changed that term, it vanishes when integrated, but the second term in the integrand still turns into

[itex]\frac{1}{2}ln| (z'-z) + \sqrt{(z'-z)^{2}+R^{2}} |^{h/2}_{-h/2}[/itex]

Which, as far as I can tell, can't be reduced to 0 when z' = 0

Nevermind, integrating this absolute value function is a bit more work than I thought it was.

Also, I don't see how you are getting a logarithm expression in the result of the integration.

1. How do you calculate the electric field over a charged cylinder using only Coulomb's Law?

In order to calculate the electric field over a charged cylinder using only Coulomb's Law, you will need to know the charge of the cylinder and the distance from the cylinder to the point where you want to calculate the electric field. Then, you can use the following formula: E = kq/r, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the cylinder, and r is the distance.

2. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the electric field over a charged cylinder of any size?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the electric field over a charged cylinder of any size as long as you know the charge of the cylinder and the distance from the cylinder to the point where you want to calculate the electric field. However, for larger cylinders, the electric field may vary depending on the distance from the center of the cylinder.

3. How does the electric field over a charged cylinder change with distance?

The electric field over a charged cylinder decreases with distance from the center of the cylinder. This is because Coulomb's Law states that the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the source of the electric field.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the electric field inside a charged cylinder?

No, Coulomb's Law cannot be used to calculate the electric field inside a charged cylinder. This is because Coulomb's Law only applies to point charges and cannot accurately calculate the electric field within a volume.

5. How does the direction of the electric field over a charged cylinder change with distance?

The direction of the electric field over a charged cylinder depends on the direction of the charge on the cylinder. If the cylinder is positively charged, the electric field will point away from the cylinder. If the cylinder is negatively charged, the electric field will point towards the cylinder. However, the direction of the electric field will always be perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder.