Electric Field of a Spherical Shell w/ Uniform Charge Density

In summary, the electric field at the center of the hole in a spherical shell with charge density is given by 2πσ.
bodensee9
Hello
I have a conceptual question about the following. Suppose I have a spherical shell with charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] that is uniformly distributed throughout its surface. My shell has radius a. Then I cut a little circular piece of radius b with b << a. Then I know that my electric field at the center of this little hole is given by [tex]2\pi\sigma[/tex], because I can treat my shell with hole as a perfect shell, with [tex]E = 4\pi\sigma[/tex] going outwards and then a little piece with [tex]2\pi\sigma[/tex] going inwards (and then I add the two). So then at the center of this sphere, I would have a field of magnitude
[tex]2\pi\sigma[/tex] going inwards because inside the shell I have no field? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several errors here, not the least of which is the assumption of the field of the small disk of radius b. Hint: the disk of radius b is neither a conductor nor an infinite plane. Also, there seems to be extra π's and missing ε's, but that may be a characteristic of your unit system.

thanks, but actually, could you let me know what I'm doing wrong with the superposition principle? by Gauss' law, the field on one side of the disk - field on other side of the disk = 4pi(sigma). So don't we have 2E*A (area) = 4pi(sigma)*A, so E on each side = 2pi(sigma). Actually, I'm pretty sure that at the center of the little hole this is the right answer, but I'm just wondering about the center of the spherical shell. I'm using CGS units. In these units k = 1, so I don't have any epsilons or pi's. Thanks.

OK, I think that explains your π's and ε's. So, I think that you found the correct field value at the center of the hole.

However, you cannot assume that the field from the negative disk is independent of position in general. The E=2πσ expression (for an infinite, uniform surface charge) works at the center of the disk because, at that distance, the disk is approximately infinite (compared to the distance from the disk), and the disk is symmetric about the center. If you either move away from the center, or move away from the disk, then this approximation does not hold. In particular, the center of the shell is at a distance d>>b away from the disk, so E=2πσ is a terrible approximation there. However, can you think of a different geometry that might approximate the disk well, when you are so far away that it looks very tiny, like a single ...

so if I'm very far away from the disk, would it be like a point charge? so then does that mean I will only have E = q/r^2? where q is the charge on the disk?
just to follow up, so if I'm not at the center of the disk, then I will need to integrate? In this case, wouldn't I be better off integrating over the whole sphere with the missing hole then? For example, will I have
[tex]dE = \frac{dA\sigma}{r^{2}}cos\alpha[/tex]
where
[tex]\alpha [/tex] is the angle approximated by my distance l from the center of the disk over R (radius of shell?)
Thanks.

bodensee9 said:
so if I'm very far away from the disk, would it be like a point charge?
That would be my approximation.

bodensee9 said:
just to follow up, so if I'm not at the center of the disk, then I will need to integrate? In this case, wouldn't I be better off integrating over the whole sphere with the missing hole then?
I don't know. Do you need to consider this case as well?

1. What is the equation for the electric field of a spherical shell with uniform charge density?

The electric field of a spherical shell with uniform charge density is given by the equation E = Q/(4πε0r2), where Q is the total charge of the shell, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point of interest.

2. How does the electric field of a spherical shell with uniform charge density vary with distance?

The electric field of a spherical shell with uniform charge density follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases with distance from the center of the shell. This means that the field will be strongest at the surface of the shell and will decrease as you move further away.

3. How is the electric field inside the spherical shell affected by the uniform charge density?

The electric field inside a spherical shell with uniform charge density is zero. This is because the charge is distributed evenly on the surface of the shell, so the electric field vectors cancel each other out at any point inside the shell.

4. What is the direction of the electric field at any point on the surface of the spherical shell?

The direction of the electric field at any point on the surface of the spherical shell is radially outward. This means that the electric field lines point away from the center of the shell, perpendicular to the surface.

5. How does the electric field of a spherical shell with uniform charge density differ from that of a point charge?

The electric field of a spherical shell with uniform charge density is constant at any point outside the shell, whereas the electric field of a point charge varies with distance. Additionally, the electric field inside the spherical shell is zero, while the electric field inside a point charge is non-zero.