Electric Fields of Cylinders and Cylindrical Shells

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss' Law to calculate the electric field at different radii from the z-axis and finding the surface charge density on the outer surface of a metal cylinder. The equations used include ∫EdA = \frac{QEnclosed}{εo}, σ=Q*A, A=2πrL, and ρ=\frac{Qinsulator}{εo(c2-b2)L}. The solutions obtained for the electric fields at 5.0cm and 8.0cm from the z-axis are -7.1901E4N/C and -3.1176E4N/C respectively. The calculation for the surface charge density involves using σ=Q*A where Q is
tristanm

Homework Statement

1. Use Gauss' Law to calculate the electric field at a radius of 5.0cm from the z-axis
2. Use Gauss' Law to calculate the electric field at a radius of 8.0cm from the z-axis
3. What is the surface charge density σmetal on the outer surface of the metal cylinder?

Homework Equations

∫EdA = [itex]\frac{QEnclosed}{εo}[/itex]
σ=Q*A
A=2πrL
ρ=[itex]\frac{Qinsulator}{εo(c2-b2)L}[/itex]

lwA7Yot.png

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Using Gauss' law, I took E and A out of the integral as they are both in the same direction, moved A over to the RHS of the equation, and subbed in 2πrL to give [itex]\frac{Qenclosed}{εo2πrL}[/itex]
I then put in the values in meters, μCs and got -7.1901E4N/C

2. E of the insulator is equal to [itex]\frac{Qenclosed}{εo}[/itex] which is equal to [itex]\frac{ρπ(r2-b2)L}{2εor}[/itex]
which gives the result of 4.0724E4N/C
Adding this value to Emetal I get -3.1176E4N/C

I'm not sure whether or not this is the correct procedure to calculate the electric field inside the shell's material, however for part 1. I know that inside the shell it has no electric field.

3. Is this just a matter of using σ=Q*A where Q is the charge of the metal and A is (2πr2 + 2πrl)?
I did this and got -2.7527E-5

Aside: Why are my [/itex] formatting not working?

Physics news on Phys.org
tristanm said:
Why are my [/itex] formatting not working?

Because you put non-LaTeX controls (sub, /sub) inside. Use _{} etc.:
[itex]\frac{Q_{Enclosed}}{ε_o}[/itex]

haruspex said:
Because you put non-LaTeX controls (sub, /sub) inside. Use _{} etc.:
[itex]\frac{Q_{Enclosed}}{ε_o}[/itex]

That makes sense. I can't seem to edit my post for some reason, but no matter.

What about the actual physics question?

tristanm said:
That makes sense. I can't seem to edit my post for some reason, but no matter.

What about the actual physics question?

Sorry for the delay - sporadic internet access.
For 1, the formula looks ok - haven't checked the numbers.
For 2, you seem to be missing some terms in the denominator (like those in your equation for 1). You've also missed out some algebraic steps in getting to the numerical result. If you post all your algebra I'm happy to check that.

Likes 1 person
Sorry about replying so late. I did in fact figure it out! Thank you for the help

Related to Electric Fields of Cylinders and Cylindrical Shells

1. What is an electric field of a cylinder?

The electric field of a cylinder refers to the distribution of electric charges around a cylindrical object. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force exerted on a charge placed at any point around the cylinder.

2. How is the electric field of a cylinder calculated?

The electric field of a cylinder can be calculated using the formula E = (Q/2πε0l) * (1/r - 1/(r+h)), where Q is the charge of the cylinder, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, l is the length of the cylinder, r is the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point of measurement, and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. What is the difference between the electric field of a solid cylinder and a hollow cylindrical shell?

The electric field of a solid cylinder is non-zero everywhere, while the electric field of a hollow cylindrical shell is zero inside the shell and non-zero outside. This is because the charge on the surface of a solid cylinder is distributed throughout the volume, while the charge on the surface of a hollow cylindrical shell is concentrated on the outer surface.

4. How does the electric field of a cylinder change with distance?

The electric field of a cylinder decreases with distance from the cylinder's surface. As the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases due to the inverse square law, which states that the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

5. Can the electric field of a cylinder be influenced by external factors?

Yes, the electric field of a cylinder can be influenced by external factors such as the presence of other charges or conductors nearby. It can also be affected by changes in the charge or dimensions of the cylinder itself.