Exploring the Electric Field: Force or Energy?

In summary, an electric field, also known as an E-field, is not a force itself but an effect produced by an electric charge that exerts a force on charged objects in its vicinity. It can be thought of as a force per charge, measured in N/C. It is often referred to as a "force field" because of its ability to generate a force on charged objects. The definition of an E-field is given by the equation \vec E \equiv \mathop {\lim }\limits_{q_0 \to 0} \frac{{\vec F}}{{q_0 }}, where q_0 is a test charge and \vec F is the electric force. For further explanation, a quote from Wikipedia states
Neuronic
I'm trying to understand the concept of the Electric Field. Is it a force itself? Or its some abstract piece of energy that generates a force?

I don't really get how its different from a force. Isn't it referred to as a "force field"?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, it's not exactly a force.
An E-field is defined as followed:
[tex]\vec E \equiv \mathop {\lim }\limits_{q_0 \to 0} \frac{{\vec F}}{{q_0 }}[/tex]

Here is [itex]q_0[/itex] a test charge and [itex]\vec F[/itex] the electric force.
Therefore, an E-field is a force per charge so in N/C.

Since I didn't really know how to explain you this further, here's a quote from the Wikipedia: "an electric field or E-field is an effect produced by an electric charge that exerts a force on charged objects in its vicinity.".

Hope that helps :smile:

Last edited:
Neuronic said:
I'm trying to understand the concept of the Electric Field. Is it a force itself? Or its some abstract piece of energy that generates a force?

I don't really get how its different from a force. Isn't it referred to as a "force field"?

Scroll down to the https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=7 entry. The answers to your questions are all in it

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical phenomenon that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity.

2. What is the difference between electric force and electric energy?

Electric force is a measure of the strength of the interaction between two charged particles, while electric energy is the potential energy associated with the position of a charge in an electric field.

3. How does the strength of an electric field affect the force on a charged particle?

The strength of an electric field is directly proportional to the force experienced by a charged particle. The stronger the electric field, the greater the force on the particle will be.

4. How does the direction of an electric field affect the force on a charged particle?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force on a charged particle. A positive charge will experience a force in the same direction as the electric field, while a negative charge will experience a force in the opposite direction.

5. How can we measure the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field sensor, which measures the force experienced by a charged particle in the field. The unit of measurement for electric field strength is volts per meter (V/m).