Electric motor: torque problem

In summary, the electric motor will develop a torque of 1.37 * 10^3 Nm when run at 3000 rpm, with 8.0 KJ of energy contributing to the motor output. The calculation for power should be 480 * 10^3 J/min. The mistake of using Joules/second instead of Joules/minute led to the incorrect answer.
irun4edmund

Homework Statement

An electric motor consumes 12.0 KJ of electrical energy in 1.00 min. If one-third of this energy goes into heat and other forms of internal energy of the motor, with the rest going to the motor output, how much torque will this engine develop if you run it at 3000 rpm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since one third of the energy is converted to heat only 2/3 contribute to torque or 8.0 KJ

I get P = 8KJ * 60s = 480 * 10^3 W

converting angular speed from rpm to rad/s i get (3000 * 2 pi) / 60s = 314.2 rad/s

since torque = power / angular speed:
T = (480 * 10^3) / 314.2 = 1.37 *10^3

but I am not getting the right answer. any help would be greatly apreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
irun4edmund said:

Homework Statement

An electric motor consumes 12.0 KJ of electrical energy in 1.00 min. If one-third of this energy goes into heat and other forms of internal energy of the motor, with the rest going to the motor output, how much torque will this engine develop if you run it at 3000 rpm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since one third of the energy is converted to heat only 2/3 contribute to torque or 8.0 KJ

I get P = 8KJ * 60s = 480 * 10^3 W

(I accidentally deleted my last reply.)

I believe here is an error. A Watt is a Joule/second, so power is not the energy multiplied by the time.

yup. thanks a lot. Just a silly mistake on my part. Thats what i get for trying to do phyics at 1 am.

Related to Electric motor: torque problem

1. What is an electric motor?

An electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using an electromagnetic field to rotate a shaft and produce motion.

2. What is torque and why is it important in electric motors?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that a motor can generate. In electric motors, torque is important because it determines the motor's ability to do work and produce motion. The higher the torque, the more power the motor has to move objects or perform tasks.

3. How is torque calculated in an electric motor?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the motor by the distance from the fulcrum or pivot point. In electric motors, the force is typically measured in Newtons and the distance in meters. The resulting unit of torque is Newton-meters (Nm).

4. What factors affect the torque produced by an electric motor?

The amount of torque produced by an electric motor is affected by several factors including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of wire turns in the motor's coil, and the amount of current flowing through the motor.

5. How can I increase the torque of an electric motor?

To increase the torque of an electric motor, you can either increase the strength of the magnetic field by using stronger magnets or increase the current flowing through the motor. Additionally, using gears or pulleys can also increase the torque by reducing the speed of the motor while increasing the force applied to the load.