Analyzing Electric Circuits: Homework Help

In summary: Can you take a cut at writing the KCL at that node now?I am sorry, but I personally feel more confused! I don`t feel that you are helping me as much. Thank you for trying to help!
MsHomework

Homework Statement

[attachment]

Homework Equations

I=V/R V=R*I R=V/I Rseries = R1 + R2 + R3 ...
1/Rparallel = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ...
Kirchhoff Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Rsource = Vsource/Isource
Rsource = 50/0.25
Rsource = 200Ω

I don't know what to do next!

Attachments

• Question #64.PNG
    Question #64.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone... Please help! I have tried so many times to figure this out but I can't! A hint my teacher gave me is to figure out the R4

MsHomework said:

Homework Statement

[attachment]

Homework Equations

I=V/R V=R*I R=V/I Rseries = R1 + R2 + R3 ...
1/Rparallel = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ...
Kirchhoff Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Rsource = Vsource/Isource
Rsource = 50/0.25
Rsource = 200Ω

I don't know what to do next!

Ground the bottom of the voltage source and write the KCL at the node between the left resistor and the right parallel resistors. What does that equation do for you?

How do I ground it! I did not learn that...

MsHomework said:
How do I ground it! I did not learn that...

It just means draw a little ground symbol on that bottom wire, to indicate that you are considering it to be the zero volts potential for the circuit. That way your voltage source output is the value of the source (since it is referenced to zero volts). You could arbitrarily set the bottom of the voltage source to something else like "10 volts", but that just introduces extra complexity into the KCL.

64. (a) R4 5 2.50 x 102
I1 = 0.250 A
I2 = 0.150 A
I4 = 0.100 A
(b) V2 = 16.7 V
V3 = 8.30 V

This is the answer from the back of the textbook... Also my teacher said to use the basics aka... I am not suppose to ground!

MsHomework said:
64. (a) R4 5 2.50 x 102
I1 = 0.250 A
I2 = 0.150 A
I4 = 0.100 A
(b) V2 = 16.7 V
V3 = 8.30 V

This is the answer from the back of the textbook... Also my teacher said to use the basics aka... I am not suppose to ground!

Okay, no problemo. Nothing fancy.

Just label that bottom wire with "0 volts", and write the one KCL equation for the top middle node. Simple! :smile:

Can you show me step by step, because I still am confused!

MsHomework said:
Can you show me step by step, because I still am confused!

No, sorry, that's now how we handle Homework Help at the PF (which you know).

Tell us how to write KCL (Kirchoff's Current Law) equations. Then write the KCL for the node in the middle of the upper branch as I mentioned several times already.

http://www.wiziq.com/tutorial/32583-Solving-problems-using-Kirchoff-s-Law-I

Just a quick question, How come you have to put 0 volts at the bottom in the parallel...

MsHomework said:
Just a quick question, How come you have to put 0 volts at the bottom in the parallel...

With the KCL, you will write the sum of all currents leaving that central node = 0 (amps or milliamps). When you write the currents as V/R for each branch, the delta-V is the voltage at the node minus the voltage at the node on the other side of the resistance. If you label the bottom wire as 0 volts, then that second voltage in the subtraction goes away in the equation (because it is 0). It's mostly a convenience thing for writing the KCL equations -- pick a logical node to label as 0 volts before starting to write out the KCL equation(s).

If a node is already labeled with a ground symbol in a schematic, you automatically take that node as being at 0 volts.

Can you take a cut at writing the KCL at that node now?

I am sorry, but I personally feel more confused! I don`t feel that you are helping me as much. Thank you for trying to help!

What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which electric current can flow. It consists of various components, such as power sources, conductors, resistors, capacitors, and switches, connected by wires.

How do you analyze an electric circuit?

To analyze an electric circuit, you need to use the principles of Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and basic circuit theorems. First, you need to determine the voltage, current, and resistance values of each component. Then, you can use these values to calculate the total voltage, current, and power in the circuit.

What is the purpose of circuit analysis?

The main purpose of circuit analysis is to understand how electricity flows through a circuit and how different components affect the current and voltage. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits, as well as predicting the behavior of electrical systems.

What are the common types of circuit analysis?

The two most common types of circuit analysis are DC circuit analysis and AC circuit analysis. DC circuit analysis deals with circuits that have a constant voltage source, while AC circuit analysis deals with circuits that have a varying voltage source, such as those used in household electricity.

What are the tools used for electric circuit analysis?

Some common tools used for electric circuit analysis include multimeters, oscilloscopes, and circuit simulators. These tools help in measuring voltage, current, and resistance values, as well as visualizing the behavior of electric circuits.