Electron Config. for Sg+2: Explained

In summary, the correct electron configuration for Sg+2 is [Rn] 5f14 6d4, which can be explained by the fact that the 7s orbitals may have a higher energy than the 6d or 5f orbitals, meaning they would be filled after the 6d and 5f orbitals. The concept of electron orbitals involves arranging electrons in order from lowest to highest energy levels.
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

For Sg+2 what is the electron configuration.

The Attempt at a Solution

My immediate response would be [Rn] 7s2, 5f14, 6d2
but the answer is [Rn] is 5f14 6d4

Can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the answer is correct, this means the math works out that the 7s-shell valance orbitals are at an actually higher energy than the 6d or 5f orbitals. I think this might be the answer, but I'm not familiar enough with calculations to say for sure.

Per analogy with transition metals I would expect 7s electrons to be lost first. Why makes you think it should be 6d?

I suppose I don't fully understand electron orbitals concept. Upon a little more brain digging, we remove heighest energy level electrons first?

Yes, the electrons in an atom in its ground state are arranged in the orbitals from lowest energy to highest. If the 7s orbitals happen to be at a higher energy than the 6d or 5f orbitals, then the 6d and 5f orbitals would fill up before the 6s orbital fills up.

What is the electron configuration for Sg+2?

The electron configuration for Sg+2 is [Rn] 5f14 6d4 7s2.

What does the notation [Rn] stand for in the electron configuration for Sg+2?

The notation [Rn] represents the noble gas Radon, which is the closest preceding element with a completely filled electron shell.

Why does Sg+2 have a +2 charge?

Sg+2 has a +2 charge because it has lost two electrons from its neutral state, resulting in a higher positive charge.

What is the significance of the 5f14 and 6d4 electron orbitals in the electron configuration for Sg+2?

The 5f14 and 6d4 electron orbitals indicate that Sg+2 has a total of 18 electrons in its outermost energy level, making it a transition metal and giving it properties such as high melting and boiling points.

How does the electron configuration for Sg+2 differ from its neutral state?

The neutral state of Sg has the electron configuration [Rn] 5f14 6d5 7s2. By losing two electrons from its 6d orbital, Sg+2 has a more stable electron configuration with a fully filled 5f orbital.