Electronic Circuits-Compute voltage gain for OP-amplifiers

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an input and output, and how the voltage and current flow through the circuit. The individuals also discuss how to calculate the output voltage, with one person considering the voltage at the (+) input of the third op-amp and the other considering the voltage on the output terminal of the upper amplifier. They also discuss the direction of the resistor and come to the conclusion that the gain of the circuit is -1.
beyondlight

Homework Statement

We got the following circuit:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zl7xg2&s=6

u_in is input
u_ut is output

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the upper amp has voltage u_in on the positive terminal.
And that the lower amp has voltage 0 V on the positive terminal.

then i calculated u_ut but the ratio then becomes: u_in/u_ut = 0

Because the current from the upper amplifiers output terminal to the output terminal u_ut is

i=u_in/2R

which then gives us

u_ut=u_in -(i*2R) = u_in -u_in

the right answer should be -1

:'(

help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would analyze it by saying the voltage on the lower input is vx, and that on the upper input terminal is uin+vx, with vx being the common mode voltage.

Otherwise you are losing all the information associated with the lower pair of R resistances.

First step: determine, in terms of the input, the voltage at the (+) input of the third op-amp.

So this is how i did it:

On the positive input for the 3rd amplifier we have v_x/2.

And i suppose that the voltage on the output terminal of the upper amplifier is v_x+u_in

The current through the resistor then becomes:

[tex]i=\frac{\frac{v_x}{2}-(u_{in} + v_x)}{R}[/tex]

Then the expression for the output u_o is:

[tex]u_o=\frac{v_x}{2} - R*i = {\frac{v_x}{2}-\frac{v_x-2u_{in}-2v_x}{2R}*R}[/tex]

after simplifying we obtain:

[tex]u_o=-v_x-u_in[/tex]

u_o/u_in = -1 (if v_x = 0)

Have i done correct?

beyondlight said:
So this is how i did it:

On the positive input for the 3rd amplifier we have v_x/2.

And i suppose that the voltage on the output terminal of the upper amplifier is v_x+u_in

The current through the resistor then becomes:
Which resistor? Which direction?

[tex]i=\frac{\frac{v_x}{2}-(u_{in} + v_x)}{R}[/tex]

Then the expression for the output u_o is:

[tex]u_o=\frac{v_x}{2} - R*i [/tex]
If we use your above expression for i, then the "-" here should be "+"

It is for the resistor after the output of the upper-most amplifier. I thought the current goes out of this amplifier and ends up at the output. So then it should be "-"

But i re-calculated this task with my method again, and got a quite different result. That turned out to be correct. I calculated without adding v_x.

The same current: i=(u_in/R)

u_out=0-Ri= -R(u_in/R)=-u_in

The gain then becomes -1.

I think this is sufficient.

1. What is an OP-amplifier and how does it work?

An OP-amplifier, or operational amplifier, is an electronic circuit component that amplifies the input voltage signal. It consists of a differential amplifier, which amplifies the difference between two input voltages, and a gain stage, which further amplifies the output. The output voltage is typically much larger than the input voltage, making OP-amps useful for various applications.

2. What is voltage gain and how is it computed for OP-amplifiers?

Voltage gain is the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage of an OP-amplifier. It is computed by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. For example, if an OP-amp has an output voltage of 10V and an input voltage of 1V, the voltage gain would be 10 (10V/1V = 10).

3. Can OP-amps have negative voltage gain?

Yes, OP-amps can have negative voltage gain. This means that the output voltage is inverted from the input voltage. For example, if the input voltage increases, the output voltage decreases and vice versa. Negative voltage gain is useful for certain applications, such as inverting amplifiers.

4. How does the input voltage range affect the voltage gain of an OP-amp?

The input voltage range of an OP-amp refers to the range of voltages that the OP-amp can handle without distorting the output signal. If the input voltage exceeds this range, the output voltage will become distorted and the voltage gain may decrease. It is important to choose an OP-amp with an appropriate input voltage range for the desired application.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the voltage gain of an OP-amp?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the voltage gain of an OP-amp. These include the power supply voltage, temperature, and the components used in the circuit. Additionally, the frequency of the input signal can also affect the voltage gain, as some OP-amps have limitations at high frequencies.