Electrostatics - Electric field of a quadrupole

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for help in calculating the electric field of a static quadrupole with given side lengths and charges. The equations and attempt at a solution are provided, including a suggestion to derive the potential using binomial expansion and Legendre polynomials. The person seeking help has not learned about these concepts in class and will consult their course notes for guidance.
AwesomeTrains

Homework Statement

Hello PF,
I could use some help calculating the electric field of a static quadrupole with side lengths a. The four charges are each placed in the corners of a square. (See attached picture).

Homework Equations

We've been given these as a help:
[itex]\Phi_{Q}(\vec{r})=\vec{a}\cdot\nabla\Phi_{D}+O(\left|\vec{a}^{3}\right|)[/itex] Were [itex]O(\left|\vec{a}^{3}\right|)[/itex] can be left out.

And [itex]\Phi_{D}(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}}{r^{3}}[/itex]
Were [itex]\vec{p}=q\cdot\vec{d}[/itex] is the dipole moment, [itex]q[/itex] is the charge and [itex]\vec{d}[/itex] is the distance vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\Phi_{Q}[/itex] is the potential of the quadrupole. Therefore I thought I could plug in [itex]\Phi_{D}[/itex] and then use Gauss's law [itex]\vec{E}=-\nabla\Phi_{Q}[/itex]
But how do I do that? I have problems using nabla on that function, and [itex]\vec{d}[/itex], [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] confuses me. (Are they the same?)
Any hints are very appreciated :)

Attachments

• Quadrupole.png
    Quadrupole.png
    999 bytes · Views: 1,328
Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion: to understand this properly you should derive the potential generally using the definition of potential at some point P (apply binomial expansion for some configuration of charge).
Afterwards do some algebra with the terms and get Legendre polynomials as coefficients. Your quadrupole will be represented by the third term. A dipole will be the second term etc.
Start with a dipole and generalize from there, it's not as difficult as it sounds and you must've done it in class at some point.
After developing the general expression you will be able to use it in any case, quadrupoles, octopoles or whatever.

I looked at my course notes and they're very similar to David J. Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics, so you should take a peek there for clues.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for the help. Will try and give it a shot :)
I have never heard of the multipole expansion before neither Legendre polynomials. I have only been studying physics for nearly a year now. And we haven't done that in class yet.

1. What is a quadrupole in electrostatics?

A quadrupole is a type of electric charge distribution in which there are two pairs of equal and opposite charges, with each pair being separated by a certain distance. This results in a net charge of zero, but creates an electric field that is different from that of a single point charge.

2. How is the electric field of a quadrupole different from that of a dipole?

The electric field of a quadrupole is more complex and has a more complicated shape compared to that of a dipole. While a dipole has a single axis of symmetry, a quadrupole has two axes of symmetry, resulting in a more complicated distribution of electric field lines.

3. What are some real-life applications of quadrupoles?

Quadrupoles are often used in particle accelerators to focus and steer charged particles. They are also used in mass spectrometers to separate and analyze different ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio.

4. How is the strength of the electric field of a quadrupole calculated?

The strength of the electric field of a quadrupole is calculated using the formula E = kq/r^3, where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge of the quadrupole, and r is the distance from the quadrupole. This formula takes into account both the magnitude and distance of the charges in the quadrupole.

5. Can a quadrupole have a non-zero net charge?

No, a quadrupole always has a net charge of zero due to the equal and opposite charges that make up its structure. However, it can have a non-zero dipole moment, which is a measure of the separation of the two pairs of charges.