Elementary Charge lab question?

In summary, the conversation was about designing a procedure for a lab where the mass of one object needed to be determined without knowing the number of objects in a bag. The initial approach involved using ratios and integers, but the teacher mentioned using formulas related to gravity and force. Another group tried using density and volume formulas. The conversation then shifted to discussing the Millikan experiment and how it can be applied to this lab. The suggestion was made to plot the data on a graph to identify clusters and determine the basic mass needed.
Naru1019
I need to design a procedure for this lab.

I measured the mass of a couple of bags containing the same object in random amounts. Without looking at how many objects are in the bag i have to determine the mass of one object.

At first i thought that since each mass measured should be a multiple of the mass of one object, dividing any two of the masses will give a ration of numbers. The numerator and denominator represent integers that will help determine the mass of an individual object.
The teacher said it had to do something with formulas that concern gravity and force. Another group tried to use density and volume formula to solve it. I'm pretty stuck here, can anybody please help me??

Physics news on Phys.org
I disagree with "formulas that concern gravity and force" so I may be on the wrong track here. It seems to me you are doing a lab to familiarize yourself with the methods used by Millikan to find the elementary charge. AFTER he measured all those charges, how did he get an estimate of the elementary charge? Just analyzing numbers, no physics formulas.

I suggest you check out this pdf on the Millikan experiment.
www.physics.uci.edu/~advanlab/millikan.pdf
The whole thing is interesting, though the bit on viscosity may well be beyond your present physics level. The very last section with the title "So you’ve at last got the charges on a bunch of different drops. Now what?" is exactly what you need.

Many people can "see it" more easily on a graph. Take a full sheet of graph paper with mass on the side (beginning at zero) and the bag number on the bottom and plot all your data. Look only at the lower part of the graph at first. Look for clusters of dots along horizontal lines. Each line should be at a mass that is a multiple of some basic mass (at a level where there may be no dots). That basic mass is what you are looking for.

1. What is the purpose of the Elementary Charge lab?

The purpose of the Elementary Charge lab is to measure the fundamental unit of electric charge, known as the elementary charge, using a variety of techniques.

2. How is the elementary charge measured in the lab?

The elementary charge is measured using a device called an electroscope, which is used to detect and measure electric charges. The lab experiment involves charging the electroscope with known amounts of charge and measuring the deflection of the electroscope's leaf, which can then be used to calculate the elementary charge.

3. What is the significance of the elementary charge in the study of electricity?

The elementary charge is significant because it is the smallest unit of electric charge and is the building block for all other charges in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electricity and its applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

4. How accurate is the measurement of the elementary charge in the lab?

The accuracy of the measurement of the elementary charge in the lab depends on various factors such as the precision of the equipment used, the technique used, and the skill of the experimenter. However, with careful experimentation, the measurement can be accurate to within a few percentage points.

5. Can the elementary charge lab be performed at home?

Yes, the elementary charge lab can be performed at home with the proper equipment and instructions. However, it is recommended to conduct the lab in a controlled laboratory environment to ensure accurate results and safety precautions.