Calculating electron charge in lab

In summary, the purpose of this experiment is to measure the charge of an electron using the method proposed by R.A. Millikan in 1910. The charge is found by balancing the gravitational and electric forces on a suspended sphere and measuring the terminal velocity of the electrons in the absence of an electric field. The charge will be an integral multiple of e, and by repeating the measurement, the largest common denominator of the measured charges can be found. Using known values for voltage, distance, time, terminal velocity, mass, and E-field, the values of n can be guessed by looking at the clusters of charge data.
bfusco

Homework Statement

The purpose of this experiment is to measure the smallest unit into which electric charge can be divided, that is, the charge of an electron e. The method is the one proposed by R.A. Millikan in 1910. A small sphere of mass m having a charge q can be suspended in air by applying an electric field of field strength E to balance the gravitational force on it. We then have:

m g =q E .

We neglect here the (very) small buoyant force.

The charge q will in general not be the electron charge but rather an integral multiple of it:

q = n e, with n = 1, 2, 3, ...

When the measurement is repeated several times, e can be found as the largest common denominator of the measured charges q.

In the absence of an electric field, the electrons will reach a constant terminal velocity vT after a short time. The viscous force balances the gravitational force, so that the net force acting on the droplet is zero and we have:

mg=KvT

where according to Stoke's law:

K = 6π η r ,

with η the viscosity of air (1.83×10-5Nsm-2 at 18°C), r the radius of the spheres (≅ 0.50μm). From measuring the terminal velocity vT of free fall, the mass of the spheres can be determined.

The Attempt at a Solution

alright i have most of the work done, i calculate the terminal velocities, and the electric fields based on the data i collected. now i have all this data and i don't know how to use it to get the value of "e".

what i have: voltages, distances, times, terminal velocities, masses, E-fields, charges

considering there was a lot of data i used excel to calculate the values, now with the known values how do i figure out the values of n, n being from q=ne?

an example of some of the date i have for charge: 5.4364E-10, 1.022E-9.

Physics news on Phys.org
the lab tells me to guess for the values of n, but how am i suppose to have an idea of what to guess without using the known value of e?

The charge data should form clusters of values roughly equally spaced. Some clusters may be absent, so some gaps may be two or three times the size of others. If you can partition the data that way, you then assume that each cluster corresponds to a different integer multiple of e.

1. How is the electron charge calculated in a lab?

The electron charge can be calculated in a lab using the equation Q = IΔt, where Q is the charge, I is the current, and Δt is the time. By measuring the current and time, the charge can be determined.

2. What tools are needed to measure current and time in order to calculate electron charge?

To measure current, an ammeter is needed, and to measure time, a stopwatch or timer can be used. These tools are essential in determining the charge of an electron in a lab setting.

3. How accurate are the results when calculating electron charge in a lab?

The accuracy of the results depends on the precision of the equipment used and the skill of the person conducting the experiment. Generally, results can be accurate to within a few decimal places.

4. What are some sources of error when calculating electron charge in a lab?

Some sources of error can include imperfect equipment, fluctuations in the current, and human error in reading and recording measurements. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate results.

5. How is the calculated electron charge used in other scientific experiments and studies?

The calculated electron charge is a fundamental constant in physics and is used in a variety of experiments and studies, such as determining the charge of other particles, understanding electricity and magnetism, and studying quantum mechanics. It is an important value in many areas of science and technology.