What is the formula for calculating average power of electromagnetic waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for Savg, which is equal to Em * Bm / (2*μ0 * c). The person asking the question solved for Savg without calculating inside the cosine, but still got the correct answer. The topic of discussion also includes the meaning of Savg, Em, and Bm, as well as the factors that determine the value of Savg.
blackbyron

Homework Statement

son01s.jpg

Homework Equations

Savg = Em * Bm / (2*μ0 * c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for S avg without calculating inside the cos, but I got it right.

The z and t is given, but is there the reason why you don't solve inside the cos, or is it the bug? it's makes me confused.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Savg = Em * Bm / (2*μ0 * c)

What do Savg, Em and Bm mean?

ehild

I see, I look at my teacher's notes and saw the exact equation.

So to solve for Savg, it only cares about the maximum values right?

Right, the result is independent of frequency or position.

Thanks for your help.

1. What are EM waves?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a form of energy that travels through space in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. They are a fundamental part of the electromagnetic spectrum and are used in many technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones.

2. How are EM waves created?

EM waves are created when an electric charge is accelerated or decelerated, causing a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields. This disturbance then propagates through space as an EM wave.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in EM waves?

The wavelength and frequency of an EM wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = fλ, where c is the speed of light, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.

4. How do EM waves travel through different mediums?

EM waves are able to travel through a vacuum, such as outer space, because they do not require a physical medium to propagate. However, they can also travel through different mediums, such as air, water, and glass, but their speed and direction may be affected by the properties of the medium.

5. What are some common applications of EM waves?

EM waves have a wide range of applications in our daily lives, including communication technologies like radio, television, and cell phones, as well as medical imaging techniques like X-rays and MRI scans. They are also used in remote sensing, radar systems, and in microwave ovens.