Voltage vs. EMF: What's the Difference?

In summary, ems or emf, which stands for electromotive force, refers to the voltage generated by a battery or cell. This value remains constant in an ideal battery but can vary in real-life batteries due to internal resistances and chemical reactions. The emf can be used in equations such as P=VI, where V represents the emf, or in calculating the current flow in a circuit with a given resistance. The term "ems" is likely the Swedish equivalent of "emf".
Drizzy

Homework Statement

Can somebody explain what ems is for a person (me) who has only heard of voltage?

http://imgur.com/Y1JQy7w

Lets say the batteries volt is 10V. Is it always going to be 10? Is the batteries ems 10V?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean "emf", or electromotive force.

An ideal battery will always present the same emf. Real life batteries depend upon chemical reactions and non-ideal materials that, over time and use, change the properties of the cell. Even if the emf provided by the underlying chemistry remain the same, the emf presented at the batteries terminals will degrade due to factors like internal resistances.

okay but am I ever going to use emf? For example in this formula: P=VI Is V the emf or is it the ems? basically is ems always ε or can the ems value be put in an equation that containc V?

Drizzy said:
okay but am I ever going to use emf? For example in this formula: P=VI Is V the emf or is it the ems? basically is ems always ε or can the ems value be put in an equation that containc V?
I am not familiar with the term "ems". Can you provide a definition or a source for where you found it?

A good approximate model for a real battery is an ideal cell with a particular emf (otherwise known as its voltage) in series with a small resistance that represents the battery's internal resistance -- the non-ideal manifestation of the real chemistry and materials that make up the battery. The analysis and design of practical circuits might involve this resistance.

This internal resistance may come into play when you need to determine how the voltage that appears at a battery's terminals changes with the electrical load on the battery (current drawn), or how much power is lost inside the battery (causing it to heat up!) for a given load. It also plays a role in charging a (rechargeable) battery, since it can limit the charging current for a given charger voltage.

It occurs to me that "ems" may be the same thing as "emf", but coming from a different language. Can you tell me the source language of the document where you found ems used?

It is in swedish :P I am wondering if the ems is used in P=UI and when do I need the ems value?

Drizzy said:
It is in swedish :P I am wondering if the ems is used in P=UI and when do I need the ems value?
Ah! Swedish. That would explain it then. So I then interpret ems to be the same as emf in English.

In your circuit, if the battery is said to have an ems of 10 Volts, and since no internal resistance is given for that battery then that ems of 10 V will be impressed across the load resistor R (5 Ohms). This results in a current ##I = ems/R = 10/5 = 2 A## to flow, as shown in your figure.

okay so let's say the internal resistance is 1 ohm then the volt is U= 10 - (1*2)= 10 - 2 = 8
so the voltage is 8 then?

Drizzy said:
okay so let's say the internal resistance is 1 ohm then the volt is U= 10 - (1*2)= 10 - 2 = 8
so the voltage is 8 then?
You would have to calculate the new current given the new total resistance; Adding resistance to the circuit will decrease the current.

oh right I forgot!

the total resistance is 6 ohms
the voltage is 10 V
The current is 10/6

U = 10 - (1*10/6) = 10 - 10/6 = (60/6) - (10/6) = 50/6 = 8.3333333...

is this correct?

Drizzy said:
oh right I forgot!

the total resistance is 6 ohms
the voltage is 10 V
The current is 10/6

U = 10 - (1*10/6) = 10 - 10/6 = (60/6) - (10/6) = 50/6 = 8.3333333...

is this correct?
Yes. You could also have found the potential drop across R using the current flowing through it: V = (10/6 A)(5 Ω)

Yes and we also write U=RI not V=RI

1. What is the difference between voltage and EMF?

Voltage and EMF (electromotive force) are two related but distinct concepts in electricity. Voltage is the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, while EMF is the energy per unit charge that is supplied by a source, such as a battery.

2. How are voltage and EMF measured?

Voltage is typically measured in volts (V), while EMF is measured in volts per meter (V/m). Both can be measured using a voltmeter.

3. Are voltage and EMF interchangeable terms?

No, voltage and EMF are not interchangeable terms. While they are both related to electrical energy, voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while EMF refers to the energy supplied by a source.

4. Which one is more important in electrical circuits: voltage or EMF?

Both voltage and EMF are important in understanding and analyzing electrical circuits. Voltage is necessary for current to flow in a circuit, while EMF is the driving force behind the flow of current.

5. Can voltage and EMF be equal?

Yes, in certain cases, voltage and EMF can be equal. This can happen when there is no resistance in a circuit, and all of the energy supplied by the source is converted into voltage.