Energy and first law thermodynamics help

In summary, the individual is struggling with preparing for a thermodynamics exam and is seeking advice on how to approach calculation-based questions. They are advised to practice and utilize equations provided in the exam. The individual expresses difficulty in identifying the appropriate equations and understanding the question's requirements, but is encouraged to post specific questions and show their efforts in solving them in the designated forum. The conversation is then locked due to forum rules.
civilengoo
Hey guys,
Have a thermodynamics exam coming in the next few days up based on the following topics. Energy and first law, Thermodynamic properties, First law: closed systems, First law: open systems/specific heat. When I have taken a look at the past exams it has been all calculations and therefore I won't need to worry about learning specific definitions. However, I'm having a really hard time getting my head around all of these questions and I literally have no clue where to start. Since the exam will be primarily calculation based (like the questions shown below) is there any process too going about these problems that will literally work for any question? I'll literally do anything if someone can fully teach me how to learn this stuff.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to do practice problems (after understanding the fundamentals outlined in your text). Are you saying that you don't know how to solve the two sample problems you showed?

civilengoo said:
is there any process too going about these problems that will literally work for any question?

Sure there is.

Draw a picture , or annotate the one they gave you.
Then ask yourself
"What parameters did they give me a number for?"
"What equation do i know that uses those parameters?"
Write those equations out with the numbers they gave you
and you'll see that whoever wrote the test question wants you to use the equations.

Both questions look easily solvable to me
first question gives volume and pressure of fluid and fraction of it that's vapor so you know masses of liquid and vapor, and from steam table their respective energy contents

second one gives a mass flow rate and temperatures hence rate of energy transfer, and you know energy is conserved,

so where's the problem?

old jim

Likes russ_watters and Asymptotic
Chestermiller said:
You need to do practice problems (after understanding the fundamentals outlined in your text). Are you saying that you don't know how to solve the two sample problems you showed?
Yes, I have no clue the process of going about either of these problems.

jim hardy said:
Sure there is.

Draw a picture , or annotate the one they gave you.
Then ask yourself
"What parameters did they give me a number for?"
"What equation do i know that uses those parameters?"
Write those equations out with the numbers they gave you
and you'll see that whoever wrote the test question wants you to use the equations.

Both questions look easily solvable to me
first question gives volume and pressure of fluid and fraction of it that's vapor so you know masses of liquid and vapor, and from steam table their respective energy contents

second one gives a mass flow rate and temperatures hence rate of energy transfer, and you know energy is conserved,

so where's the problem?

old jim
I just have a hard time thinking of the respective equations I should be using, and what exactly the question is asking

Thread locked.

At the PF, you are requred to post homework-type questions (including study questions) in the Homework Help forums, and not in the technical forums.

You are also required to post your best efforts at solving the problems. Just saying "I have no idea, teach me" is not allowed here.

Please repost one question at a time in the HH forums, and show the Relevant Equations and your best efforts at the solution. That is how you will do the best and learn the best as a student. Thank you.

Likes Asymptotic and jim hardy

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can exist in many forms, such as thermal, mechanical, electrical, and chemical energy.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to energy?

The first law of thermodynamics applies to energy by stating that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. This means that any energy that enters or leaves the system must come from or go somewhere else.

4. How is energy measured in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, energy is typically measured in joules (J) or calories (cal). Other units such as kilojoules (kJ) and kilocalories (kcal) are also commonly used.

5. How can I use the first law of thermodynamics to solve problems?

The first law of thermodynamics can be used to solve problems by applying the principle of energy conservation. This involves identifying all forms of energy present in a system, tracking their transfer or conversion, and using equations to calculate the changes in energy. It is important to keep track of the direction of energy flow and to account for any energy losses due to factors such as friction or heat transfer.