Energy in infinite square well

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy of a particle in an infinite square well with one end at x=-L/2 and the other at x=L/2. The Schrodinger equation and boundary conditions are used to solve for the energy, resulting in two different answers depending on the placement of the well. The participants discuss possible algebraic errors and offer help to each other in solving the problem.
w3390

Homework Statement

Find the energy of a particle of mass m in an infinite square well with one end at x=-L/2 and the other at x=L/2.

Homework Equations

Schrodinger Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

To save time, I won't type the solving of the differential equation which results in the sin+cos terms. I eventually get to the point where I have found that [tex]\Psi[/tex](x)=Asin(2n*PI*x/L). Using boundary conditions, I found k=2n*PI/L.

From my differential equation, I have that k^2 = 2mE/h(bar)^2.

When I plug in k=2n*PI/L to the k^2 equation, it simplifies to:

E = (n^2*h^2)/(2mL^2)

My question is whether or not this is correct because when the infinite well has one end at x=0 and the other at x=L, the result is that:

E = (n^2*h^2)/(8mL^2)

It shouldn't matter where the well is placed as long as the width is the same. Why am I getting two different answers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, yeah, you should get the same answer and you've probably made an algebraic error somewhere. I would carefully go over the application of the boundary conditions in the -L/2 to +L/2 case.

I don't think it's an algebraic error. I have worked the problem through, once using endpoints x=0 and x=L and again using x=-L/2 and x=L/2 and I don't get the same answer.

In the case where I am going from 0 to L, I get that the energy is E=(n^2*h^2)/8mL^2, which is correct.

In the case where I am going from -L/2 to L/2, I have the factor of 1/2 that ends up that ends up getting squared and reducing the eight in the denominator to a 4.

Any ideas?

I have a very similar problem with yours but from -a to a. So if you have any idea or something we could help each other

Related to Energy in infinite square well

1. What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is an idealized system in quantum mechanics that consists of a particle confined to a one-dimensional region with infinitely high potential walls. This means that the particle cannot escape from the well and is restricted to a specific region.

2. How is energy quantized in an infinite square well?

In an infinite square well, the energy levels of a particle are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. This is due to the particle's confinement within the well, which restricts its allowed energy states.

3. What is the relationship between the size of the well and the particle's energy?

The size of the well directly affects the energy of the particle. A larger well will have a wider spacing between energy levels, while a smaller well will have a smaller spacing between energy levels. This relationship is known as the quantum confinement effect.

4. How does the particle's energy change as the well size is increased?

If the size of the well is increased, the particle's energy levels will also increase. This is because a larger well allows for more possible energy states for the particle to occupy. Conversely, decreasing the size of the well will decrease the particle's energy levels.

5. What is the significance of the infinite square well in quantum mechanics?

The infinite square well is a simple yet important model in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the concept of confinement and energy quantization. It also serves as a building block for more complex systems, such as the harmonic oscillator and the hydrogen atom.