Energy Threshold for 2 proton -> 2 proton 1 Pion

In summary: Also, you say the second part in the COM frame has no momentum, but it does - it just happens to be equal and opposite to the first part.
Goatsenator

Homework Statement

When a beam if high-energy protons collides with protons at rest in the laboratory, pions are produced by the reaction p + p --> p + p + ∏. Compute the threshold energy of the protons in the beam for this reaction to occur.

Homework Equations

(mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (pc)^2
Einitial = Efinal

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do an energy balance but can't seem to get it right. I don't understand how to account for the momentum of the proton if I'm not given its velocity. How can the momentum of the first stage be equal to the momentum of the second stage if none of the particles are moving?

I think:

2x(rest energies of protons) + (Kinetic Energy of proton) = 2x(rest energies of protons) + (rest energy of pion)

Is the threshold energy the total energy (i.e. the rest energy and kinetic energy) of the proton that is moving, or is it just its kinetic energy? My professor went over this very quickly and wrote down that zero is equal to something which makes no sense to me. I'm pretty confused and the book isn't helping either. Can anyone clarify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Goatsenator said:

Homework Statement

When a beam if high-energy protons collides with protons at rest in the laboratory, pions are produced by the reaction p + p --> p + p + ∏. Compute the threshold energy of the protons in the beam for this reaction to occur.

Homework Equations

(mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (pc)^2
Einitial = Efinal

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do an energy balance but can't seem to get it right. I don't understand how to account for the momentum of the proton if I'm not given its velocity. How can the momentum of the first stage be equal to the momentum of the second stage if none of the particles are moving?
It can't, so the two protons and the pion must be moving after the interaction.

I think:

2x(rest energies of protons) + (Kinetic Energy of proton) = 2x(rest energies of protons) + (rest energy of pion)

Is the threshold energy the total energy (i.e. the rest energy and kinetic energy) of the proton that is moving, or is it just its kinetic energy? My professor went over this very quickly and wrote down that zero is equal to something which makes no sense to me. I'm pretty confused and the book isn't helping either. Can anyone clarify this?
Try analyzing the problem in the center-of-mass frame, and then transform back to the lab frame.

OH! Okay I think I get it now! So when I view it from the COM frame both of the protons appear to have equal kinetic energies when they collide so that is the threshold energy? And then after the collision there appears to be no movement of the particles relative to one another?

Goatsenator said:
OH! Okay I think I get it now! So when I view it from the COM frame both of the protons appear to have equal kinetic energies when they collide so that is the threshold energy?
No. You're trying to find the energy of the incident beam as measured in the lab frame. It's related to the threshold energy as measured in the COM frame, but they are not the equal.

And then after the collision there appears to be no movement of the particles relative to one another?
This is true in both frames. Perhaps you didn't write exactly what you meant?

I'm also kind of stuck on this.

So far I've got:

BEFORE the collision:

Using the invariant (E2 - c2p2) = (2mpc2)2 - c2(pp)2

Then AFTER the collision in the COM frame:

(E2 - c2p2) = (mpc2+mpc2+mc2)2

Then to get the threshold I'm equating the two equations and solving for mpc2. However, I can't seem to the the momentum term to cancel. Or I can't simplify it to get an equation for the energy.

Any help?

LeePhilip01 said:
I'm also kind of stuck on this.

So far I've got:

BEFORE the collision:

Using the invariant (E2 - c2p2) = (2mpc2)2 - c2(pp)2
I'm not sure what you did here.

Then AFTER the collision in the COM frame:

(E2 - c2p2) = (mpc2+mpc2+mc2)2

Then to get the threshold I'm equating the two equations and solving for mpc2. However, I can't seem to the the momentum term to cancel. Or I can't simplify it to get an equation for the energy.

Any help?

I just took the E of the two protons ( = 2 x mpc2 ) and subtracted the product of c2 and the momentum of the incoming proton, all squared. As in the invariant.

The second part in the COM frame has no momentum so is just the sum of the E components.

Is this wrong?

Since the incoming proton is moving, its energy isn't equal to its rest energy, which is what you seem to be saying.

Related to Energy Threshold for 2 proton -> 2 proton 1 Pion

1. What is the significance of the energy threshold for 2 proton -> 2 proton 1 Pion reaction?

The energy threshold for this reaction is the minimum amount of energy required for the reaction to occur. It marks the point at which the reaction becomes energetically favorable and can proceed.

2. How is the energy threshold for this reaction determined?

The energy threshold is determined by the masses of the particles involved in the reaction and their respective binding energies. This can be calculated using the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. Why is the energy threshold for this reaction important in nuclear physics?

The energy threshold is important because it provides insight into the fundamental forces and interactions at play in nuclear reactions. It also helps determine the stability and properties of nuclei.

4. Can the energy threshold for this reaction be changed?

Yes, the energy threshold can be changed by altering the initial energy or momentum of the particles involved, or by changing the reaction conditions such as temperature or pressure.

5. What other factors can affect the energy threshold for this reaction?

Besides the masses and binding energies of the particles, the energy threshold can also be influenced by the presence of other particles, the spin and isospin of the particles, and the nuclear forces at play.