Entropy Change of an Ideal Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses using the expression for the entropy change of an ideal gas, TV\gamma-1 = constant, to show that the change in entropy is zero for a quasi-static adiabatic expansion. This involves using the equation dS = dQr / T and solving for T in terms of V. The individual asking the question is unsure if their approach is correct and is seeking clarification.
mouzis

Homework Statement

Using the expression for the entropy change of an ideal gas when the volume and temperature change and TV[itex]\gamma-1[/itex] = constant, show explicitly that the change in entropy is zero for a quasi-static adiabatic expansion from state V1T1 to state V2T2.

Homework Equations

TV[itex]\gamma-1[/itex] = constant

dS = dQr / T

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to use T1V1[itex]\gamma-1[/itex] = T2V2[itex]\gamma-1[/itex] and solve for T in terms of V and substitute into the second equation. I couldn't figure it out from there, so my question is is my idea of what to do fundamentally wrong, or is my calculation once i set up the problem wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$dS=C_v\frac{dT}{T}+R\frac{dV}{V}$$

FAQ: Entropy Change of an Ideal Gas

What is entropy change of an ideal gas?

The entropy change of an ideal gas refers to the change in disorder or randomness of the gas particles in a system. It is a measure of how much the particles are spread out and how much energy is dispersed throughout the system.

How is entropy change related to temperature and volume?

The entropy change is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas and inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as temperature increases, so does the entropy change, and as volume decreases, the entropy change also decreases.

What factors affect the entropy change of an ideal gas?

The entropy change of an ideal gas is affected by temperature, volume, and the number of particles in the system. It also depends on the type of process the gas undergoes, such as isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric.

What is the difference between entropy change and enthalpy change?

Entropy change and enthalpy change are both thermodynamic properties that describe the state of a system. However, entropy change refers to the change in disorder of the system, while enthalpy change refers to the change in heat energy of the system.

How is entropy change calculated for an ideal gas?

The entropy change of an ideal gas can be calculated using the equation ΔS=nRln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes of the gas.

Back