Solving Equations for Track Graph on Microsoft Excel

In summary, the conversation is about finding equations for a problem involving a graph on Microsoft Excel that resembles a 2D track. The track has variable points that can be changed to adjust height, distance, coefficient of friction, centripetal acceleration, and force centripetal. The first equation discussed is for IE (initial energy) without centripetal acceleration added, which is assumed to be the greatest kinetic energy minus the kinetic energy at the point you are. The second equation is for IE of an individual track segment with centripetal acceleration added, which is assumed to be the total energy minus the kinetic energy at that point plus the velocity squared divided by half the track segment length. The third equation is for speed with centripetal acceleration
HawKMX2004
I am having some problems with equations for a problem. The problem isn't really a question, it's more of finding equations to make something work. Basically, It is a graph on Microsoft Excel, that resembles a 2D track. The track has variable points that you can change, to increase height, distance, Coefficient of Friction, Centripetal Acceleration, Force Centripetal, etc. I have some equations figured out, but I am stuck on a few. Here is what i have and what i need, any help is appreciated. (remember there are no numbers, just equations)

The first is IE ( Initial Energy ) without Centripetal Acceleration added. I have no idea where to even start with this equation, but i assume that Initial Energy is the greatest kinetic Energy, minus the Kinetic Energy at the point you are? I need a lot of help there. Final Equation: TE - KE

The second is IE of Individual Track segment with Centripetal Acceleration added. For this, I assume that it is once again the Total Energy minus the Kinetic Energy at that point plus ( Velocity^2 / Radius ) I don't know exactly how to get the radius though ( is it half of the track segment?? :confused: ) Final Equation: TE - KE + [v^2/(1/2)(TrackSegmentLength)]

The third is Speed with Centripetal Acceleration. For this I think I have it, but since i have Kinetic Energy as a Given, I would use the Equation v=SquareRoot(KE/.5m)

The fourth is Distance Traveled, for this, wouldn't it be the new track segment plus all of the previous track segments?? :confused: Final Equation: New Track + All Previous Track

That is all i have, please correct me on equations if I'm wrong, or if you need clarification id be glad to give it to you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do u mean by centripetal acceleration added? when the centripetal acceleration is added, it shouldn't change the speed and only change the direction? no?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, Think of a track that goes up and down at random points...thats what its saying...so what is the speed with Centripetal acceleration added..I am still very confused..because none of my equations are working :confused: :cry:

the speed should still be the same as the initial speed.

But what about Initial energy and speed? how do I get them without having Total Energy?

Related to Solving Equations for Track Graph on Microsoft Excel

1. What is the purpose of using Microsoft Excel to solve equations for a track graph?

Microsoft Excel is a powerful tool for organizing and analyzing data. By using equations in Excel, you can easily create a track graph to visualize your data and identify patterns or trends. This allows you to make informed decisions and predictions based on your data.

2. How do I input equations into Microsoft Excel for a track graph?

To input equations, you can use the built-in functions in Excel or create your own using mathematical operators like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also use cell references to input values from other cells into your equations.

3. Can I solve complex equations for a track graph on Microsoft Excel?

Yes, Microsoft Excel has a wide range of functions and tools that allow you to solve complex equations for your track graph. You can also use the Solver tool to find the optimal solution for a set of equations.

4. How can I customize my track graph in Microsoft Excel?

Excel offers various customization options for track graphs, such as changing the axis labels, adding a title, and changing the chart type. You can also format the graph elements, such as the lines and data points, to make it visually appealing and easier to interpret.

5. Is there a way to automate solving equations for a track graph in Microsoft Excel?

Yes, you can use macros or VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) to automate the process of solving equations for a track graph in Excel. This can save you time and effort, especially if you have a large dataset with multiple equations.