1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations Help Please

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    I am having some problems with equations for a problem. The problem isnt really a question, it's more of finding equations to make something work. Basically, It is a graph on Microsoft Excel, that resembles a 2D track. The track has variable points that you can change, to increase height, distance, Coefficient of Friction, Centripetal Acceleration, Force Centripetal, etc. I have some equations figured out, but I am stuck on a few. Here is what i have and what i need, any help is appreciated. (remember there are no numbers, just equations)

The first is IE ( Initial Energy ) without Centripetal Acceleration added. I have no idea where to even start with this equation, but i assume that Initial Energy is the greatest kinetic Energy, minus the Kinetic Energy at the point you are? I need alot of help there. Final Equation: TE - KE

The second is IE of Individual Track segment with Centripetal Acceleration added. For this, I assume that it is once again the Total Energy minus the Kinetic Energy at that point plus ( Velocity^2 / Radius ) I dont know exactly how to get the radius though ( is it half of the track segment?? :confused: ) Final Equation: TE - KE + [v^2/(1/2)(TrackSegmentLength)]

The third is Speed with Centripetal Acceleration. For this I think I have it, but since i have Kinetic Energy as a Given, I would use the Equation v=SquareRoot(KE/.5m)

The fourth is Distance Traveled, for this, wouldnt it be the new track segment plus all of the previous track segments?? :confused: Final Equation: New Track + All Previous Track

That is all i have, please correct me on equations if I'm wrong, or if you need clarification id be glad to give it to you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2
    What do u mean by centripetal acceleration added? when the centripetal acceleration is added, it shouldnt change the speed and only change the direction? no?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2004
  4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    yes, Think of a track that goes up and down at random points...thats what its saying...so what is the speed with Centripetal acceleration added..I am still very confused..because none of my equations are working :confused: :cry:

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4
    the speed should still be the same as the initial speed.

6. Dec 5, 2004 #5
    But what about Initial energy and speed? how do I get them without having Total Energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?